Graphics card advice

FemshepLiara13

Hi all,

New to the forum. Ive ben wanting to build my own gaming pc for a few years now but never felt i knew enough to get the right parts or fix any issues that might arise. Starting to build one right now.

Right now i'm able to play a small amount of games on my laptop but it's not meant for gaming. I have a HP Paviliin laptop with 8gb ram, amd ryzen 5 3500U processor with Raedon Vega Mobile GFX.

As u can see the graphics are not great. There are a bunch of games that i cannot load at all and they just CTD and some that i can play but are slow, jittery, and it overall makes the game unplayable.

I play a variety of ganes from games like Nist Survival, Jurrasic World Evolution 2, Medieval dynasty, Resident Evil, Skyrim.

I dont have a huge budget but what kind of graphics card would run the most high end games and probsbly be ok for a few years before id need to upgrade? Is the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 ti still a good graphics card? Is there something that's like midddle of the line graphics card thay can run most games pretty good like it doesnt have to be like running the games at like ultra quality, i'd just like to run them at all.

Apologies to everyone for the super long post and thank u in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of budget are you talking about? Without looking anything up, you are probably looking around $1200 or so. Do you have any parts already? Are you an AMD or Intel cpu person?

FemshepLiara13

I can probably spend like £1000-£1300 so like probably between $1200- $1500 around about. I do not have any parts yet as i wasnt sure what i was going with. I'm unsure about intel vs AMD. I prefer AMD just off initial impessions, but wouldnt mind intel if it was worth getting intel over AMD

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What country are you from? What online stores do you use? Your availability would be different than what is available here in the USA.

FemshepLiara13

Im from the UK. Ive looked at a website called pcpartpicker. Ive looked at amazon but idk if i trust amazon. Ive akso looked a possible second hand parts on Ebay but idk if its better just buying new parts so they'll hopefully last longer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
AMD build - You still need to add a case but this is about what you are looking for

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PJwCk9

The only compatibility issue is the cpu/motherboard. If the bios on the motherboard isn't updated to support the 5600x then the board has a Qflash Plus feature that you can update the bios without the cpu installed. So it would still work.

Intel build - Again still would need to add a case. The amd cpu doesn't come with a cooler but the intel one does.

You can play around with it a little depending on like your storage space needs. I think you will definitely be over your budget if you go am5/DDR5. Not sure if you would need a big mechanical drive for storage but I picked a 1TB NVME SSD for windows install, which could be lowered to 500gb possibly. As far as the AMD cpu cooler, I just picked one of the most common coolers people use. If you drop down to MATX motherboard, you could save money there, just didn't know what you wanted. I also always pick Gigabyte motherboards as I'm partial to them.

I'm sure others will come along and add other options, just give it time cause we really aren't a busy forum like we used to be.
but idk if i trust amazon
Nothing wrong with Amazon, just stay away from third party selling/shipping.