GTX 480 vs HD 7850

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Well yeah, I'm sure the 7850 would beat the 480 in Crysis 2 since it's an amd favoring game, but again the 480 is way cheaper.

crysis isn't favoring amd for sure.
And the hd7850 is about 8% better in games + it overclocks like hell + it's cool + it's newer + you need less power.

SpringWater

I'm sorry for making this thread a never ending story, but some of you recommended me buying the 570 instead of the 480, so I know that the 570 has less V-RAM but how good is it compared to the 480? (I'm asking this question cause they are very similar in price)

wolfeking

banned
you also have to take into account that the 480 is 384 bit while the 570 is 320 bit. That accounts for nearly all the difference in performance, especially at higher resolutions.

The 570 runs cooler. Use it if it is the same price, or within $10. If more than $10 difference, the 480 is better.

tech savvy

Both will perform about the same in performance. Where the differences stick out the most is in the temps, power consumption, noise level, and OC'ing capability, which the 570 pulls ahead. Personally, I would go with the 570. But in the end, it's your money/decision, choose wisely.

SpringWater

No idea what was the point of that Vietnamese (or some other language that I don't speak :D) response, but now that I look at it the 570 is very similar to the 480. The only problem is that it's hard to find a good deal on the 570s and basically every week someone puts a $160/170 480 on e-bay.

spirit

Staff member
The post above yours is spam, ignore it, it'll be deleted soon.

Keep looking and see if you get any good deals. As I've said before, given the choice between the 480 or the 570, I'd take the 570 if I could, but ultimately I'd end up getting whichever one was cheaper. Performance is close, but the 570 has a few advantages.

SpringWater

Cool, so basically if I find a 480 for let's say 170$ and a 570 for $175 it would be a good choice to get the 570, but if the 570 is $230 then I should stay away from it. By the way I decided that I'll be buying a new video card not sooner than a month from now so the 2gb 7850s might go down in price, and I'll just get one of them :D, because if they will be under $180 then I see no point in getting a 480 or a 570.