<H1> headers

Tom S

Hello,

I read in SEO guides that for onpage SEO, the <h1> header is kinda important. But what if you site consists of nested tables, with logo stuff and such on top, is the effect the same when placing the header in a table like for example:

<table>
<tr><td>
<table>
<tr><td><h1>header goes here</h1></td></tr>
</table>
</td></tr>
</table>

And what about the color and size of the header when using CSS classes for headers, if you change these values is the header value worth less for the google spider?

SirKenin

banned
lol. Ummm. I have had numerous webpages over the years in all the major's top tens. Believe me, the H1 tag means next to nothing. I never used them.

A tip? Do not believe a thing these SEO websites tell you, because usually by the time they have it figured out, the algorithms are already changed. I was told by one never to use frames. I had a 1500 page website that was entirely made of frames and it was consistently number 1 and 2. I was getting thousands of uniques a day.

The only thing you EVER need to worry about is content. Make sure you have loads and loads of relevant content. That is ultimately all that really matters. If you try to hard to follow the suggestions of these SEO companies, more often than not you are going to get blacklisted. The one thing search engines are not is stupid.

codeman0013

i agree with sirkenin they are not needed and a lot of those sites are so off base its not even funny to keep up with the times keep on forums and read posts and read news on forums specifically designed and made by people like us programmers and webdesigners who know whats going on with it...

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
ive never used that header once in ay of my websites, and all get ranked highly in search engines.... If your looking for search engine optimization, just make good use of META tags and craft your content well.... also, get your site out there, the more sites that have your link in their pages, the more the search engines will pick it up.

dragon

Arm_Pit

banned
It's not needed, and you can have a highly sucsessfull webpage without them, but they can help a little.

Christopher

VIP Member
Of course you will still get ranked highly if you have the content. But things like using headings help search engine prioritize the content on your pages. If you place content between <h1>, then the SE knows that it is more important then content between a <h6> for example.

These tags exist for a reason. It's called semantic markup: use the HTML tags as they are meant ot be used.

Then there are things like screen readers and such. Always use the HTML tags that are best for the job, there is nothing to loose and everything to gain :)