Handheld portable scanner

biba.doa

I am looking for a way of scanning historical documents so I can have them electronically. My problem is that these documents can be very large and may be attached together. This means that a flatbed scanner will not be suitable.

The best way that I can think of doing this is to get a handheld scanner. Take as many scans as it needs to get the whole document on the computer then use software (such as Serif's "Scan, Stitch and Share" software) to make the images back into one document.

I have been looking at scanners and thought this one seems as good as any:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/portable-handheld-scanner-with-ocr-software-390393

Does anyone know what I should be looking for in a handheld scanner? (I can't seem to find reviews anywhere).

I would also appreciate advice on the software. I have only really found either Serif's "Scan, Stitch and Share" or Nuance's "Omnipage". Does anyone have any experience of either of these programs or know of a better one? I want to have as high a quality copy of these documents as possible.

Thanks for any advice!

esmphoto

no experience with that scanner or those programs but you're right, seem as good as any

have you considered using a document camera or building your own? may be a better solution for this application