hard disk saying imminent error. wat do i do???

rockgod6624

I have Windows XP and I have heard that leaving it on too long without putting it to sleep damages it. Well my sister left it on too long and now when I turn it on it says hard disk imminent error and makes a clicking sound. It says the only way to fix it is to buy a new hard disk but I want to know if there is someother way.

Sorry if this is in the wrong subject.

Lanther

Never heard of a problem with leaving XP on to long I have XP Pro and I leave my comp up almost all the time. If the hard drive is making a clicking noise its pretty much shot I'd back up everything you need now to CD if you can.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have Windows XP and I have heard that leaving it on too long without putting it to sleep damages it.
Never heard of a problem with leaving XP on to long I have XP Pro and I leave my comp up almost all the time.
The only problem with leaving the HDD on 24x7x365 is heat reated ones... the motors on the drive are good enough for 99.9999993541532% of people out there :)

I turn it on it says hard disk imminent error and makes a clicking sound. It says the only way to fix it is to buy a new hard disk but I want to know if there is someother way.
I myself has a Fujitsu 13GB drive that "clicks" but works perfectly fine but I'd think that is a fluke case :p Odds are you will have to or defintely want to get a new drive (or claim warranty on the one you've got). You can potentially lose everything on the drive