Hard drive-BIG Problem Cant get into windows

wesa

I just got a new 20gig seagate hard drive slaved off of my 8gig seagate. The place that did it said that the hard drive works but they didn't install windows. The 8gig used windows 98, but i can't use it even when i got a boot disk off the internet. So i tried installing win xp. If i do that on the 8gig, it says that i'd have to use mulitple booting. Could i partition the new hard drive and put xp on it? Should i? If i do, what format-FAT(quick), FAT, the N one quick or the N, to partition it in? How would the computer run w/ 1 disk using windows xp and the other using 98? The guy at the place said i couldn't just put win xp on both. this is all so confusing What should i do?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
well do you want to keep the win98? if so then y? all you need is windows xp and using win98 is a waste I think. Also it sounds like your 8gig is the primary drive and I'd imageing you'd rather have the 20gig be the primary drive so swap there places and do a fresh install of windows xp on the 20gig and then just reformat the 8gig inside of windowsxp.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Could I partition the new hard drive and put xp on it?
YEs

Should i?
Up to you and what you want/need

If I do, what format-FAT(quick), FAT, the N one quick or the N, to partition it in?
Ideally you'd use NTFS (quick is dependent on ur patience). But if you need a lot of backwards compatibility then use FAT32

How would the computer run w/ 1 disk using windows xp and the other using 98?
You would get a boot menu asking you which OS you wanted to fire up

The guy at the place said I couldn't just put win xp on both.
Slap him with a ... power cord. :D

What should I do?
Determine what you want (i.e., do you need W98 -- why, etc)

wesa

"Also it sounds like your 8gig is the primary drive and I'd imageing you'd rather have the 20gig be the primary drive so swap there places and do a fresh install of windows xp on the 20gig and then just reformat the 8gig inside of windowsxp." Would that mean taking it apart again and setting the 20gig as master? I'm not very sure on how to do that.

wesa

Ive got a screen- Starting Windows 98-
Type name of the Command Interpreter (e.g.C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
a>

What's that? Will that let me get into windows 98? I'd think it would be easier to uninstall windows from my hard drive there and then put in windows xp. instead of putting xp and 98 on the old drive. Right? I just need to know what the heck a Command Interpreter is.

wesa

So what praetor's saying is-put windows xp on 20gig and leave win 98 on 8gig and i can choose which os i want at startup. If i do this i'd have to partition the 20gig and install xp. Umm how exactly do you partition If i'm using windows xp and i want access to programs or email in the hard drive with the os windows 98, would i have to be in windows 98? Would it be like having two different computers?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
"Also it sounds like your 8gig is the primary drive and I'd imageing you'd rather have the 20gig be the primary drive so swap there places and do a fresh install of windows xp on the 20gig and then just reformat the 8gig inside of windowsxp." Would that mean taking it apart again and setting the 20gig as master? I'm not very sure on how to do that.

you'd have to open up your case and put the 20gig where the 8gig is and visa versa (Just switch em) then you'd change the jumper settings of course. 20 gig as master and 8gig as slave.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
So what praetor's saying is-put windows xp on 20gig and leave win 98 on 8gig and i can choose which os i want at startup. If i do this i'd have to partition the 20gig and install xp. Umm how exactly do you partition If i'm using windows xp and i want access to programs or email in the hard drive with the os windows 98, would i have to be in windows 98? Would it be like having two different computers?

I'm still confused though, do you want to keep win98? Is there a reason for it? because it's much more simple to set up windowsxp because it can do everything that Win98 can basicly. That would also give you more disk space to store or install stuff with the other hard drive being free.

Also if you want to double boot then you'll either need a boot loader or some mobo's have a shortcut key (F4 as example) and then asks you what drive to boot.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Would that mean taking it apart again and setting the 20gig as master? I'm not very sure on how to do that.
You dont have to.

Ive got a screen- Starting Windows 98-
Type name of the Command Interpreter (e.g.C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
a>
This means your Windows98 installation is shot.

I'd think it would be easier to uninstall windows from my hard drive
You dont quite "uninstall" windows but yeah thats roughly the idea

you'd have to open up your case and put the 20gig where the 8gig is and visa versa (Just switch em) then you'd change the jumper settings of course. 20 gig as master and 8gig as slave.
Theres no "need" for that though (although it would help to keep things somewhat 'standard') :)

wesa

I had them put windows xp on it. I think it originally had windows 2000. I think everything works fine except the DVD-ROM. The computer tested it and said it was working fine, but it doesn't play any type of a cd. Not music cd, cd-rom, or dvd. I had them put in a cd-rw, and it works fine. I don't think it's broken because it opens closes, and the computer says it's fine. This is what i think: the dvd-rom only works with windows 2000 or whatever. If so, how can i make it work with windows xp? I could take it back and have them fix it, but i don't want to wait 2 days and make the 17 mile drive. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's very unlikely that the dvd rom only works for Win2000, drives work pretty much all and any operating system so if it's not working then there's another cause. does it get power? does the light come on? does the tray open/close?