Hard drive issues

lashrman

Ok, building a new computer. Using pretty much everything from an old computer. The hard drive is giving me problems in the new computer here is what I did: Took the old HD out put in new powered up and it didnt recognize the OS couldn't even get the cd rom to work to format. Next, I put the hard drive into the old computer and tried giving it a fresh format stopping the installation of XP Pro at the restart after the format. I put the HD back into the new comp and it is getting a bluescreen saying to run fdisk and all that happy horse S&!t. Can't do that can you when you dont have a DOS prompt or an OS for that matter. I cant even get the XP cd to run in the new comp, AND the old comp wont accept the HD to put an OS on it either. Any Ideas? I don't think I fried it, I used a strap and all those precautions. Thanks...

subzero7676

lashrman said:
Ok, building a new computer. Using pretty much everything from an old computer. The hard drive is giving me problems in the new computer here is what I did: Took the old HD out put in new powered up and it didnt recognize the OS couldn't even get the cd rom to work to format. Next, I put the hard drive into the old computer and tried giving it a fresh format stopping the installation of XP Pro at the restart after the format. I put the HD back into the new comp and it is getting a bluescreen saying to run fdisk and all that happy horse S&!t. Can't do that can you when you dont have a DOS prompt or an OS for that matter. I cant even get the XP cd to run in the new comp, AND the old comp wont accept the HD to put an OS on it either. Any Ideas? I don't think I fried it, I used a strap and all those precautions. Thanks...

Hey i had the same problem what it is you need to delet all the partitions that with FDISK that way you can format the hardrive and start clean and a *hint* use the windows xp pro boot floppys that you cna find on the microsoft website

Rick G

when you change the HDD to a new puter, the bios is not reading the old hdd. You need to format and install fresh on the new system. It will never work to install on the old puter and run on the new one. Sorry!