Hard drive not initialised!

mat44london

I had a power cut and my computer went off. After the power came back on my external hard drive does not show up in my computer. It says it needs to be initialised. It also shows up as unknown and not initialised in computer management. It does not allow data recovery software to read the drive at all. I am worried that if I initialise the drive I will lose all the data that is on it. I have enclosed 3 pictures that show what I am explaining. I wondered if this could be a PCB or hardware issue causing this also ?. If I try to initialise the drive or put it as offline if fails and says IO error. Any help would be greatly appreciated ?. I could not upload the pictures as they are too big in size so have added some links below.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Seems like corruption or failure. If you were writing to it when the power went out it's possible the data or the file table (such as the partition scheme) were impacted. Some lower layer recovery software might work. Otherwise the easiest thing to do would be to restore from backups.

mat44london

I fixed the problem. It turned out that the external caddy was faulty. I put the hard drive ina new caddy and it works fine now. Thanks for your support.