Hard Drive Partitioning Question

sterlingr

Hello all!
I am starting my first build soon. To save money I opted to buy one 1TB drive and am planning to add a 120gb SSD in a year or so.
Now my question is; what is the best way to plan for this? This is the plan I've come up with.

As soon as I install my 1TB drive, partition it into two parts. One 120gb partition and another for the rest. In doing so I would create two "drives" (C: and D: for example) and would organize everything as if the 120 partition (C:) was a SSD even though these are only really on one drive. Then, whenever I do get an SSD, just copy the 120gb partition over.

Ok now does that make sense :p ?

Please tell me if that would work or not... and if you have any other idea for planning to make that transition earlier.

Thank you!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, you would want to install fresh to an SSD anyway to make sure you get the best performance. But yeah, it would work what you are wanting to do. If you do the clone then you need to go into the auto defrag settings and disable it as defragging is bad for an SSD.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You could do that, but you're better off installing fresh to the SSD When you get it. Your current plan for the 1TB is good though so when you do get the SSD you can copy what you need and then blow that partition away.