Hard Drive Problems

CooLPistoL

A couple of months ago, my brother gave me an Hard Drive for free (60 gb). He didn't want to use it cuz it was corrupt and some sections of it was broken. Well, it lay around for a while in my apparment till i ran out of space on my 80 gb, and since i was poor, and didn't want to buy a new one, i decided to use it. I formated the HD and ran CHKDSK on it, but to my suprise, it didn't find any problems widh it. So i copied all my downloaded stuff to it, and then something weird happend. It seemed that the HD had some sections in it that was broken cuz when it attemped to read, or write, to those sections, everything just hang up, probably waiting for the HD to finnish writing. And the HD DOESN'T sound good. It sounds like skkkrrrrtttt-sskkkrrrtttt-skkkrrrrrttttt. But the other sections are just great. I tried to run norton disk doctor, but it didn't seemn to find any problems eather. The very dangerus thing is that the HD can write the files (or at least, it msgs the computer that the writing was succsesful), but it gets corrupted when attempting to read them (CRC checksum error). The files get lost forever!!! :eek:
My questions are:
  1. Is there any efficient way to find out, exactly witch parts of the HD that is corrupted?
  2. If i find out, is there any way to remove theese sections? (Like place some sort of flag, before the corruped area so it just jums over them)
  3. Anyone know what kind of problem my HD got?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any efficient way to find out, exactly witch parts of the HD that is corrupted?
Short of the a surface scan (which I assume you've done), not really. Not that I know of at least

If I find out, is there any way to remove theese sections? (Like place some sort of flag, before the corruped area so it just jums over them)
If you found such bad sectors with the Surface Scan than fixing it through that will automatiically "flag" those areas

Anyone know what kind of problem my HD got?
Seems like the drive is more than just surface-fukt but the heads are fukt too (hence the sounds you're hearing)

CooLPistoL

I actualy found out wich sectors that where broken, but they wherent "fixed". Isn't there a manual way to flag them?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I actualy found out wich sectors that where broken, but they wherent "fixed". Isn't there a manual way to flag them?
Dont think theres a way to manually do it (that i know of or is feasible).... what programs have you tried? (you might be able to use tools by the HDD manufacturer

CooLPistoL

I've tried too find the damaged sectors, First with chkdisk, and it didn't find anything, so i tried Norton Disc Doctor, but it didn't work ether. Then i scanned it with Easy Recovery Pro, and it gave me a detailed report of witch sectors that where corrupted, but it couldn't fix them. Is there a way to "hide" the sectors with Partition Magic 7?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The harddrive checker that comes with windows..... goto Driver Properties --> Tools