hard drive problems

Gr3yG0053

I purchased a wd 160gb 8mb in march of this year, yesterday on my screen it says critical falure. After restarting the computer all of files were gone, and now when i put files on it (mp3s) sometimes they work and sometime they say file is corrupt, what do you reccomend?

Super_Nova

Check your IDE cable and make sure your drive is getting enough power. For example make sure you aren't running on a 150 watt power supply or somethign. If all is good then contact Western Digital and get a RMA number and get them to send you a new drive.

Does the drive make any loud clicking noises other than it's normal sounds?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If the HD overheated in most cases it wouldn't work at all!!!
It depends how you define overheat .... if you define it as 50ºC after 8hrs activity then lots of people will have overheated drives :)

password

it can fix a machanical driver failure,because it can put the bad sector to p-list or
g-list which made the system do not to read and write that sector.

geek_in_love

Though the question was how to get the files that are "corrupt." If PC3000 "black lists" the bad sector, then he wouldn't be able to access the files that would be on there. That wouldn't be a resolution to the problem in question.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it can fix a machanical driver failure,because it can put the bad sector to p-list or
g-list which made the system do not to read and write that sector
That is not FIXING. That's WORKING AROUND. And its the exact same thing as what Scandisk does. Fixing a mechanical failure requires mechanical methods (i.e., open the drive up)

Though the question was how to get the files that are "corrupt." If PC3000 "black lists" the bad sector, then he wouldn't be able to access the files that would be on there. That wouldn't be a resolution to the problem in question.
True enough. Googling drive/data recovery might lead some programs for DIY solutions although if its really important stuff it might be worth goign to data recovery professionals

Blade

There should be a little thing hanging around...its small and round, some call it a CD. It should be labbelled 'Windows XP'. Put that in and boot, follow the prompt and when asked, format C:...you can then re-install and if the problem insists, then you can then follow the instructions of Super Nova

"If all is good then contact Western Digital and get a RMA number and get them to send you a new drive." ~ Super Nova

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a little thing hanging around...its small and round, some call it a CD. It should be labbelled 'Windows XP'. Put that in and boot, follow the prompt and when asked, format C:...you can then re-install and if the problem insists, then you can then follow the instructions of Super Nova
Thanks for the smart[ass] reply. Next time, try to make sure it directly deals with the problem