hard drive speed compatibility

d_stevens3

I am building a system and am deciding on my hard drive. My motherboard says it supports Ultra ATA 100. Does this mean that I can buy an ATA133 drive and still use it at 100 speed or do I have to buy an ATA100 drive?
any help appreciated, thank you

Dart81

d_stevens3 said:
I am building a system and am deciding on my hard drive. My motherboard says it supports Ultra ATA 100. Does this mean that I can buy an ATA133 drive and still use it at 100 speed or do I have to buy an ATA100 drive?
any help appreciated, thank you
ù

Yes, you can buy an ATA 133 drive and it will be totally compatible!
However 133 or 100 ATA HD are quite the same.....there is not an increasing in speed for ATA 133 HD....
There are ATA 100 IBM HD that runs at the same speed(or better!!!) of a Maxtor ATA 133, infact, Maxtor has "invented" the standard 133 for his Hard Disks but the truth is that the performances are the same!

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
owever 133 or 100 ATA HD are quite the same.....there is not an increasing in speed for ATA 133 HD....
Technically there is ... but 99.99999999% of users will never enounter that extra speed :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Actually to be honest, people often wont notice the difference between ATA66 and ATA100/133 :)