Hard drive Speed

jjohnston

I am looking at building my own Gaming computer. I am deciding on a HDD. I am pretty sure I'm going to go SATA but don't know what RPM. 7200 or 10k. the 10k has a seek time of 5.2msec and the 7200 seek time is <9.5msec. Any suggestions? the rest of my computer will be 3.0ghz P4 with HT, 2x512mb 400mhz DDR Memory, the new Nvidia 6800 Graphics card. SoundBlaster Audigy sound. Any suggestions?

Ace1627

Doesn't really matter. All really on how much you want to spend. You won't notice any difference between the 7200 and 10000 if you are just playing games. Hope this helps.

kof2000

with a 10,000 rpm drive you'll install xp in around 10minutes. u will notice the difference. if you want best stuffs go with a scsi 15,000rpm drive.

4W4K3

VIP Member
i've used a 7200RPM drive for almost 2 yrs now. plenty fast enough for me. it doesnt matter in the slightest how fast XP installs to me, it's not like i do it every week. but if that kind of stuff matters to you, a 10K-15K RPM will be very fast (and also a nice chunk out of your wallet.)

kof2000

7200rpm is okay for storage for me but for a boot drive i use 10k-15k since the os and all the apps and settings are running from that drive i'll want the faster drive installed stuff there.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
with a 10,000 rpm drive you'll install xp in around 10minutes.
Only if you spend the time to copy the CD to the HDD before hand. Having a faster drive wont matter jack if you install via CD.