Hard-wire (Cat5) to internet in Windows 10

Da Mail Man

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340 that has wireless (obviously) and NO ethernet ports.... I want to tie it into the internet via hard-wire (cat 5 cable)......I can turn the wi-fi on and off as desired but, want to run it directly into a router or switch.....

I have an adapter hooked to the side port of the laptop but, don't see any options to "make a selection for it"/make it work with the computer...

ANY assistance will be appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is the adapter? It should have a driver installed so it detects it properly.

Da Mail Man

What is the adapter? It should have a driver installed so it detects it properly.
Apparently, I will have to inquire to the seller as to what/where the driver is....It was listed as "plug and play".

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its plug and play then you should have internet. Disconnect the wifi and see what happens.

Da Mail Man

If its plug and play then you should have internet. Disconnect the wifi and see what happens.
Yeah, that is what I thought.....The unit is plugged in, I shut off wireless, hit a browser, it says no connection....I have generated a communication to the seller.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE

I unplugged the unit, re-plugged it in, then, saw a pop-up about a program wanting to "run", agreed to that...NOW IT FUNCTIONS...I am positive it was a solid connection and not sure as to why it recognizes this now...IT IS WORKING and, thanks for your support.