Harddrive is 50% Fragmented. Defrag doesn`t fix it..

dh271

My pc was running slow, so I ran defragment. Almost 50% is fragmented (solid line of red) in my Windows defrag program. Nothing I can do to get this lined out. I`ve run defrag twice and it doesn`t even touch it. Ideas? :confused: I have run virus programs, spybot, etc, nothing on my pc I can find to cause it screw up.

dh271

Lots of Free space

I have a 320 gig hd. Total size after I loaded Windows XP is 298gb now. I have I have 159gb free space available. My personal stuff I have saved on the pc is about 40 gb. I have about 99gb used up that shouldn`t be. It`s a solid line of red in my Defrag program and I defrag about twice a week. Everything was fine 3 days ago and then all of a sudden, this happened.

dh271

Legend

RED is Fragmented files.
Doesn`t matter now, after I ran a burned a couple of CDs, I got back 102 gigs of free space and my defrag was cleared up again. I know it sounds freaky, but it happened that way. Been on a puter for 8 years and it`s the first time I`ve experienced that. Back to La La land I go. :eek:

dznutz

if your fragmented files represent large files like iso's then to defrag them you'll need some disk space to move the chunks.