Hardrive For My Mobo

joelkyr

Im a new system builder, I just want to ask if somebody can tell me the specs. of hardrive that I should get, the manual says:

-2 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
-2 x Serial ATA, RAID 0,1 function

I planning to get a 200gb of hardrive and Im confuse which one to get.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Nice thing about your motherboard is that it doesnt matter what 200GB drive you get whether it's SATA or ATA/100 or ATA/133 ... they will all fit! :) You'll probably want the SATA model because of the higher theoretical performane of the drive :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL glad to clear it up for you :) Realistically unless you're a power user you wont notice much of a difference between say a 200GB SATA and 200GB PATA (i.e., "old school") drive and depending on how much cheaper the PATA drive is, that might be a better deal :)

Grimulus

Honestly, I would get just the regular ATA . They are cheaper and really you aren't going to see a whole pissload of difference in the 2. My friend paid 150bucks or whatever for his Western Digital 40gb SATA drive and i paid 110 bucks for my 160gb Seagate. And he might load a level about 1 second faster than me if he does that, we basically have the same comp but mine is a little faster, so it's an even race and i have a "cheap" harddrive compared to his. Long story short, I won't be buying SATA until they are affordable for my poor ass. But if you've got the money, go for the SATA, but if you get the other you won't have to worry about having time to whine about it being to slow between levels or whatever you want to do with that thing. :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Serial ATA is the new standard, it improves over ATA by allowing more MB/s.
Most hard drives do not use this feature yet, but it is better for the future and they increase airflow as the cables are thinner.
Damn Jimbob if you're gonna spam make sure you spam right. ALL SATA drives make use of ... well... SATA snd the cabling? Please. SATA is better yes but not for those reasons.

And he might load a level about 1 second faster than me if he does that, we basically have the same comp but mine is a little faster, so it's an even race and I have a "cheap" harddrive compared to his.
Yah SATA only really kicks in for extended transfers :)

Long story short, I won't be buying SATA until they are affordable for my poor ass
Yep! PATA will be around for a bit still so nothing to worry about yet :)

smadge

just a question. why does everybody need soooooooooooo much space? i couldnt see myself using more than 40gigs
-smadge

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For instance, i do digital photography and on any given photo shoot, we'll fire off 300-400 shots @ 11MP each and they need to be processed in RAW format (which isnt so space efficient). So you have general idea, a 512MB card will hold ~80 such pictures.

Also I do a lot of DVD processing for distance ed lecture material and at 4-8GB apiece they stack up real fast. Also, 20GB a day downloading will accumulate shit real fast.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
No problem... there used to be a guiding principle: "get twice as much as you think you'll need" ... i think is should be more like "get three times as much as u think you can use" :)

Grimulus

It's called being a media whore. I have about 2700 songs and adding. why? because i never like to not have anything to listen to. Also, with games being upwards to 5 gigs in size(ut2004), those fill up a small hard drive rather quickly. Hell I have 30gigs in games at least. Not to mention movies and all that noise. the media software is getting heavy in space as well. so i guess it's media and games for me, i know people who deal with 40 gigs and do fine, they just have to uninstall a lot of stuff to play certain games. I would rather pay more money and not have to do that, it's just way to annoying, not to mention i have my whole cd collection a click away with winamp.