Have I Got A Network Card?

Yeti

VIP Member
Well, an easy way would be to look at the back of your computer to see if there's an RJ45 port. It will look almost exactly like a phone jack (RJ11). If its alone then its probably a network card. If theres two right next to each other its likely a modem. You can also look in your device manager for network adapters.

tonymaclennan

To be honest I aint very good at technical stuff.
I have a socket which I used to plug phone line in for dial up, its a modem.

I looked in device manager on both computers. I attahced screen shot from each computer and highlighted the network part. Does this show a network card is in both computers or is it something else?

Do you have high speed internet? (or check control panel)

I do not have the internet on the 2 computers in question. I am using the web at my sisters house and lookin to get it at mine.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect you dont have a network card as miniport generally designates something else

tonymaclennan

Praetor said:
I suspect you dont have a network card as miniport generally designates something else
Ow well,
Looks like we'll have to but a network card for each.
I think i'll try buy an external one if you can get them, eBay here I come. Can somebody advice me on what sort I want on a low budget as long as its reasonale speed?

Yeti

VIP Member
The first one, like Praetor said, probably doesn't have a network card. The second one probably does since it has a Realtek adapter installed.

tonymaclennan

Yeti said:
The first one, like Praetor said, probably doesn't have a network card. The second one probably does since it has a Realtek adapter installed.
The second one has. Thats my sisters. Looks like I will have to folk out some money on a network card.
Are external ones available. I know nothing about network cards, so what sort/speed/type would be the best, how would they connect to computer, would it be USB or something else?

tonymaclennan

Yeti said:
I would just get a PCI card, probably a 10/100 Mbps:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-107&depa=0
or if you wanted you could get gigabit for not much more:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-133&depa=0
If you didn't want to install a PCI card you could use a USB adapter though I've never tried one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-156-133&depa=0
Prices are quite reasonable.
I would choose any of them, but am I correct to assume they are internal ?

About the third item you listed, is this a network card, if so I think i'll purchase it as its USB (external)?

Would me being in the UK affect anything other than delivery and delivery time?

Sorry about all the questions but i'm new to networking.

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Newegg doesn't ship to the UK as far as I know. The two cards I listed first are internal - you would have to open up your computer and pop it into an open PCI slot - really quite easy. The last one is a USB adapter so it will plug into an open USB port. It might be a bit slower than the cards simply because the maximum transfer rate for USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps whereas the network maximum transfer speed is 1000 Mbps. But, like I said I have no experience with these USB adapters :). If you search the web for some computer part retailers that ship to the UK you should be able to find similar products or else I'm sure someone in this forum could recommend a good place to find one.

tonymaclennan

Sorry, another question.
What speed/type should I look at getting?
i have been looking at ones like 1/11MB and done know whether this is good or not.

Yeti

VIP Member
10/100 Mbps will be plenty for an internet connection and pretty much anything you would want to do with it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, another question.
What speed/type should I look at getting?
i have been looking at ones like 1/11MB and done know whether this is good or not.
Get a 10/100 NIC, you can easily find them for roughlyy $20 :)