HD 5850 or GTX 470?

gtx 470 vs hd 5850

• Gtx 470

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • HD 5850

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

87dtna

at this point a super clocked version of the gtx 460 is the winner but if ATI can hurry up and push out a high clocked 6870 then i would have to rethink

Seriously doubt it. Seems like they've already pretty much maxxed it out. They review place I linked to only got 50mhz core overclock before artifacting.

87dtna

Just saw on newegg you can get a PNY gtx460 1gb overclocked edition for $199 free shipping on newegg. 765mhz core clock, should be the same strength as a 6870 then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133326

3 year warranty is really plenty for just about any card's normal lifespan before an upgrade is needed. So it's $47 cheaper than the cheapest 6870 (which has 2 year warranty), and $67 cheaper than the lifetime warranty XFX. Thats quite a bit for the same strength card, especially considering the added ''small'' benefits of the gtx460.

I'm sure the 6870 is a decent card, but the size/heat/price make it a fail when compared to a proper OC'd edition gtx460 1gb (even when the price was still at $220)

Heck, even the gtx470 took a price drop to $260 shipped (and has lifetime warranty)-

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1470-AR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw=

Last edited:

iurytx

Ok ive finnaly narrowed it down to 2.

This one or this one?

im looking for the one that will perform better but also stay cooler (msi?).
also what does fpb stand for and whats its difference from the superclocked one i posted?

Last edited:

87dtna

Ok ive finnaly narrowed it down to 2.

This one or this one?

im looking for the one that will perform better but also stay cooler (msi?).
also what does fpb stand for and whats its difference from the superclocked one i posted?

The EVGA has a lifetime warranty VS a 2 year warranty on the MSI.

GTX460's all run decently cool, so getting the EVGA isn't that big of deal. The EVGA has external exhaust, the MSI puts all the heat into the case which may make your CPU and motherboard chipsets run warmer.

FPB stands for free performance boost, basically they gave you a small overclock to 720mhz core clock (from 675 standard), the overclocked has 763mhz.

iurytx

yea... the evga was my first choice mainly because of the external exhaust. But im not to sure. For real im not 100% sure on the gtx 460 either lol but yea.

87dtna

I have the same model you are looking at (except not superclocked), and love it. I play at 1080p with 16x/16x AA/AF and never have any lag of any kind.

With a still pretty quiet 50% fan, it usually runs mid 60's celsius while gaming. Thats decently cool. Or with 40%, it's nearly silent, and might hit 70c in some intense scenes with high settings (high GPU usage) but not usually. I believe these cards can run about 105c sustained temps just fine, so not even close. I'd personally take 70c and externally exhuasted than 60c and all the hot air into the case. And again, lifetime warranty on the EVGA.

Last edited:

87dtna

Yeah, so what....you still only have a 3 year warranty. There's nothing wrong with 40c idle, or even 70c load....especially if the hot air is blowing outside the case instead of in it.

FuryRosewood

i am just content that the temps are lower than the furnaces of the 470s, im lookin forward to see how they keep this power management to get better and better. i thought my gtx+ cards ran pretty cool, but these 460s are giving the ati cards a run for their money (im not meaning to start a fight here, im just showing numbers, these 460s idle freaking low, its funny, their almost going lower than the cpu's out there at times)

-even with the air in the case, im not seeing it affect my cpu too much...i think its making a 2-3C change total on the radiator for the h50 but thats minor if anything...just wish we didnt have so many cats...dust buildup is freaking insane here...i go maybe 3-5 days then i have to clean the filters on this 1200...its disgusting

Last edited: