hdd doesnt boot! it works with power cable, but no with IDE cable!

danel

I dont know what to do! my computers ide devices does not work! when i connect only my power cable to my ide devices the divices make the usual noice, but when i connect the power cable and the IDE cable like it should be the devices just doesnt work!! i dont know what to do, ive spend hours trying to fix it! please help me!

p.s
the devices do work when i connect them to another comp.

Eddie Haskell

Check your jumper settings and make sure their correct, go into BIOS and see if it's even recognizing it, is this a second HDD or your primary? The reason I ask is because you use the word "devices" many times! Why are you replacing the existing HDD, some kind of failure? Details... need more details!

Last edited:

danel

its me again

NOO i dont have another hdd, this is my p[rimary, i use the word devices because my cdroms does not work as well.
i wanted to connect another hdd to the computer by simply using one of the cdroms ide cable. then when i found out it didnt work, i replaced the cables like they were originaly and the computer didnt work.... then ive tried the hdd and the cdros to see if they work on an other comp, and they did.... so i dont know what is wrong...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
hdd doesnt boot! it works with power cable, but no with IDE cable!
1. If it doesnt have a data cable than its not working. Period.
2. Sounds like you've got a master-slave conflict with the drives

Eddie Haskell

Well if it worked before and it doesn't work now, you obviously changed something and don't have it the way it was originaly. I would have to say jumper settings are wrong as well, or the HDD is hooked to the wrong IDE cable or at least the wrong spot on the IDE cable, master HDD should be on the end of the IDE cable with the blue end (MOBO end). Good luck