HDD isn't showing up with correct size

Hi fellas,

I've been messing with recuva and ****** to see what data I can recover from an old drive that I had in an old computer that has been formatted a few times.....So as I was testing I recovered some files and when I was going to scan for something else the size went from 40gigs of space to 2.49gb free?

Unsure how I can about to get the correct size to appear once again. I have looked in disk management, but am turning up short..... Any help here I appreciate it!

Thanks

*edited*

Please disregard ******** Fixed.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So it went from 40gb free to 2.49 gb free? Sounds like you possibly recovered deleted files and restored them to the drive. Is the total size of the drive correct?

So it went from 40gb free to 2.49 gb free? Sounds like you possibly recovered deleted files and restored them to the drive. Is the total size of the drive correct?

if that were the case of recovering the restored files to the drive then that is crazy. I didn't catch what I was doing.

Nonetheless, it is actually an 80gig drive, but I do have it appearing as it should with the correct amount of size.

I've never really used these programs so I am testing them out since I now have a sata/ide to usb 2.0 adapter.

beers

Staff member
This should be as expected, once 'unallocated space' is reallocated as a file it appears as used storage.

You could always do a chkdsk to see if the file system is correctly reporting available space.