HDD temperature near T.E.C - Threshold Exceeded Condition

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
This is what I got when using Active Smart 2.42. I got the temperature threshold set at 0, and it has somehow reached 6. Note that it is almost constantly at 110 or something close to that. That translates to 32 degrees Celsius....which is good. However, touching the harddrive seems to make me believe it's much higher. Should I get some cooling fitted?

BTW the name is WDC WD800JB-00FMA0 - A Western Digital WD800JB. It has 7200rpm,8 meg cache and 80 gigs of space.

JAN :D

computerdude2004

30 degrees celcius sound correct. You hdd should feel warm to the touch after use. If it doesn't, most likely you have something wrong. You can try cooling, but it sounds correct to me. Where are you getting your 32 degrees celcius from, the BIOS?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That translates to 32 degrees Celsius....which is good. However, touching the harddrive seems to make me believe it's much higher. Should I get some cooling fitted?
The drives are fine. It never hurts to cool the drives but its certainly not a requirement right now

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thanx

I should have asked more clearly about the threshold exceeded value... . Active Smart 2.42 tells me that my HDD is at 32 degrees Celsius when the threshold value is 110. When it reaches 35 during defrag for example it goes down to 100 threshold. Now I got to 6!!! That must have been some extreme temp. Note that if it reaches 0, that's the maxxxx it can handle and caboooom, dead HDD.

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part, HDDs are very well designed and dont die from heat death like back-in-the-day :)