Hdmi and DP not playing well together

Acousticmood

I have an intel i7 in a fan-less box. It has an hdmi output and a dp. I want to use the dp for a monitor and send audio through the hdmi to my receiver.

In order to get the dp to work on my monitor I had to use another monitor through the hdmi. Then it defaults to “extended displays” and I can use the dp monitor. However when I remove the hdmi and plug in my receiver to the hdmi- the dp monitor thinks that a second monitor is connected. I can’t then open any windows on the dp monitor because it is being displayed on the other “non existent” monitor.

I tried setting the monitors to “mirror” but evidently is defaults back to “extended” monitors once the hdmi is plugged in to the receiver.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thankyou,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you'll be able to use the hdmi to your receiver, you'll most likely need to use the regular speaker output to your receiver. If there is a special setting that needs to be changed then not sure about that. The main signal for hdmi is video not the audio.

Acousticmood

I could use the hdmi If I could select it from the audio control panel, but I can’t get to the control panel with the hdmi plugged into the reciever

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, the HDMI is mainly for video, I don't think you'll be able to get strictly audio from it going to your receiver.

Try this. Plug DP cable into the monitor you want to use and go into display properties and make sure that monitor is chosen as main monitor not monitor 2. Try plugging the HDMI into your receiver and then go into sound properties and select appropriate audio hardware.