Heatsink...

Fritzjavel

New Member
What happends if I run my CPU w/ out a heatsink, and fan??? will it stop working, because I want to test my PSU, and Mobo, and I have my CPU installed, but i have not heatsink and fan, so can I quickly turn it on and off??
 
but i'm not running any programs at all, i'm just going to press the on and button check for post and turn off, no HD is installed, so i won't have any boot... so could I ?
 
i wouldnt, the pentium 4 in my computer boots at about 40*C just to give you an idea, and thats with the fan/heatsink
 
It's better not to risk it. Most of the CPU's today can destroy themselves within 10 seconds. I seriously wouldn't.
 
You can turn it on for few minutes, then crash!
(I remember at one time I didn't install Heatsink properly, PC crash within 3 mins I turned on)
 
Turning it on would probably be fine. When a CPU overheats,it is designed to shut itself off.
There is an element of risk involved with running it too hot though.
 
DO NOT DO IT! They can overheat and get fried in as little as 15 seconds! I have done some testing on procs and let me tell you....it is not safe. Just wait till you get your fan and heat sink and do it right. It will shut itself off when it reaches a certain temp....but that can cause damage....NOT WORTH THE RISK!

What do you think you can test by turning it on for a few seconds anyway? Not like you can even get an idea about how it runs anyway! Get everything together like it will be for normal everyday use then test it. Would you test drive a car without tires??? Of course not....that's not how it will be driven right?

The proper way to test it is get everything mounted (proc, Fan and heat sink with thermal grease) then turn it on. Let it run for about 20 minutes. That will give you a good idea of your idel temps. Then run a program like prime95 for about 2 hours and that will give you a good idea of your load temps. It will max out your proc. That app will also test the stability of the motherboard, RAM and proc. It gets everything running good and hot. Then you can start running games and what ever apps you use.


It depends on what program you use for your temps. There are many and 20 people will tell you 20 different apps to use. Myself...I use "Real Temp 2.60" and "ASUS Probe" they give me the exact same readings all the time and it matches my BIOS temps. I have tried Core Temp, Everest and many more but get a difference of 20C with all these programs.


XION II case
ASUS P5N-E 650i mobo
Corsair XMS2 Pro 6400 800MHz 4 x 1 GB
Intel Q9300 OC'd 3.0 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper TX2 CPU cooler (34c idel - 44c load)
Antec 650w Neo Power
Evga 9800 GTX / OC'd Core 760 MHz
 
Last edited:
No

Lets put it this way, a Pentium I will get to hot to touch in about 1 sec. A modern processer has smaller pathways, and has more power shoved through it. If the computer cannot shut itself down as the CPU gets to hot, it will literally start to smoke and burn. Get on youtube and search for videos of people taking off the heatsink.

You can hit the power button and have the PSU come of with out the CPU in however and with a device (ohm meter etc) you can test the power. If you absolutely have to have the CPU in, get a fan (and kind [e.g a desk fan, but a powerfull one]) and have it blow on the CPU. BUT DO IT QUICKLY, just a few seconds, 5 at the absolute max, and do it at your own risk.
 
If you don't mind spending over $60 on a new processor go ahead and try it. Your processor will likely burn up and be ruined though.
 
Last edited:
you shouldnt turn your computer on if your cpu does not have a heat sink on it. It will heat up rite away and you will destroy your cpu..
 
spikebuck77-the cpu does not turn itself off. once you turn your computer off the only way to turn it off is manually. The cpu will just over heat and smoke
 
most modern cpu's have temperature sensors for more than controlling just the fan, if the cpu reaches 80*C or something like that the system shuts down
 
Back
Top