Hello have some ?s

nwa6

im not super smart with computers so please bare with me lol and thx for the help

my dad built me desktop pc back in 2004 my bro has it now but im gunna get it back! i know its prolly outdated i dont know what components it has on it

im trying to rebuild my old desktop but try to do it the cheapest way possible lol

if i remember correctly it just has 512 of ram
not sure how much hardrive it has

basiclly i wanna upgrade the stuff in it but not sure what i need to upgrade
keep in mind i have someone to do all this stuff for me i just need parts

it has xp on it

keep in mind i dont need the best of the best parts just the stuff that does the job

i wanna upgrade more ram to it i was thinking 3 maybe 4 gigs of ram

i want to upgrade the hardrive as well somthing to 320-500 gig of hardrive

i also might wanna play some video games on it! Nothing super crazy. but stuff like counter strike source and some games like that but none of the super new stuff but want to keep maybe the new stuff an option and im also gunna use this computers to keep my movies on as well so i can keep my laptop and netbook clean instead of taking so much space kinda use it for storage!

so i know i need a good video card or graphics card or whatever it is called
what do yall recomend thats not super expensive?

can your upgrade a proccesser? if so what should i upgrade it to?

and thats all i can think of so if yall have any advice or anything else i need to add to do these things that would be great thx for the help!

HazzaHnoob

ram to 3 or 4 gigs, good idea. except the motherboard will likely be out of date... like DDR or DDR2. sooo... If you want new CPU and fast DDR3 RAM, you're most likely going to need a new motherboard... what is the budget... you said not much, but is that like... £50 or £300?...

nwa6

ya i dont need anything crazy that will accept ddr3 ram cause i would imagine that motherboard would be more expensive but if i can find a motherboard for the same price of one that accepts ddr2 then i deff would get one if not then i wont haha i will stick with somthing that just accepts ddr2

i dont even know if what i said makes sense as i dont know much about computers thats why im on here haha and i dont know how to switch pounds to american dollars sorry : ?

HazzaHnoob

oops sorry... what you said made sense, and just give the nice forum people a budget in dollars and between them they shall sort you out...

and when you can, find the spec of the old pc, then we'll know whether you need a new motherboard or processor... my guess is yes but hey :)

nwa6

haha ok partner! ya its one my dad built from scratch so i wont know what the heck i will be looking at but i will deff try!

nwa6

ok i will do when i get it back?

what if i gutted it basiclly and replaced everything other than the fans and such

so a new motherboard and proccesser new ram and hardrive video card ect ect how much would that cost me an estimate would be fine? keep in mind i dont need the best of best just somthing that would work and let me play some games lol