Help a copied disc destroyed my PC!

GRiT

I own a legally purchased copy of Brothers In Arms the PC game, which I believe uses safe disc 4 as a means of copy protection. I tried to make a copy of the game as I have (had) more than one PC, in more than one location (one at my flat and one at my parent’s house). I used Nero Burning Rom 6 and when I tried to verify the burn it said it had failed but I tried to install it anyway as I thought I could just uninstall it if it didn't work. I was really wrong, Windows crashed on trying to restart, and would not boot in any mode. Then I realised to my horror the deliberate maliciousness of the people behind the copy protection on this game, my PC is totally knackered it destroyed the disks on my Raid 0 array, and my floppy drive tries to read and write to any disk I put in it if it's not write protected. It even tries to stop me from running any DOS based programs! I bought this game in good faith and the copy I own is genuine I just wanted to be able to play it on both my my PC's without having to carry the disk about with me, and now it's destroyed one of my PC's. I really need help and advise with this one, I am willing to contact the relevant bodies and give them my genuine code and even send them my copy of the game, or take legal action, but at this point I literally don't know where to turn. Help!

r53s

Grit-

If you have xp sp2 you must have the latest

version of nero 6...

Or... don't you...

Lax

VIP Member
Something like that would not mess up your computer. At the worst it installs corrupted files which would then not run (meaning they would just need to be deleted). If anything it was something else you tried to do in conjunction (or before or after) trying to install the game with your failed burn. What else DID you do that day you tried to install it?

GRiT

Other symptoms

The only other thing i had done lately was play Doom 3, and browse the net. I had Mcafee Internet Security Suite 2005 installed, Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, Adaware, Spybot, i had run scans with all of these. While it may be a coinsidence, other strange things happened after my floppy drive trying to read and write to an unprotected disk at the same time during Windows setup (SATA drivers). At first it looked promising Memtest ran for three complete passes no errors. But when i tired to run DBAN to wipe my Hard Drives it would only write to one of them succesfully, the other one continually errored from half way through, and this program hung up, the only option that would work was autonuke (the program didn't load properly if you didn't select it). What ever is wrong with my PC seems to stop you from manually selecting options in DOS or Linux based utilities (floppies). My Monitor keyboard, and mouse seems fine as i am using them with my old PC now.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
it sounds like you had a strange coinsidence where one of RAID drives failed after the bad copy process

Lax

VIP Member
it sounds like you had a strange coinsidence where one of RAID drives failed after the bad copy process
Agreed. Whatever it was that happened the drive might be toast. How old was the drive and what brand (even though that shouldn't matter)?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i own a legally purchased copy of brothers in arms the pc game, which i believe uses safe disc 4 as a means of copy protection.
sd4 is a neato protection scheme, the general guideline is to use the same procedure as safedisc 3.05-3.20. i have a brief description of the protection in the cd/dvd 101

i used Nero burning rom 6
that was your first mistake;) Nero isnt and wont ever be able to deal with the bad sectors and stuff intentionally put on the disc. Consider something like A120 or Blindwrite

then i realised to my horror the deliberate maliciousness of the people behind the copy protection on this game, my pc is totally knackered it desTroyed the disks on my raid 0 array, and my floppy drive tries to read and write to any disk i put in it if it's not write protected
if you look at the code behind sd4 its not that malicious (because that would be illegal). the most it really does is blacklist virtual drives (that was the big difference between sd3 and sd4 they really stepped up the blacklisting)

i bought this game in good faith and the copy i own is genuine i just wanted to be able to play it on both my my pc's without having to carry the disk about with me, and now it's desTroyed one of my pc's. i really need help and advise with this one, i am willing to contact the relevant bodies and give them my genuine code and even send them my copy of the game, or take legal action, but at this point i literally don't know where to turn. help!
i dont know if thats legal what you're suggesting but for people with common sense, as long as multiple people dont benifit from the game (or at least concurrently) then its fair game. i'll assume you mean that. as for your raid array, you are, unfortunately sol (and for future advice, raid0 isnt all it's chalked up to be -- especially for gaming, have a look at the RAID 101 for some comments on that).

GRiT

Re: Praetor

Hi I was surprised by what you had to say about RAID 0, I installed this as I thought my overall system performance would be better, and I could always set Windows backup if I needed to (although with hind sight, with what happened I probably should have setup RAID 1). I do admit that I mostly play games on my PC, and so thought that by using RAID 0 it would bring my loading times down, and help out if my PC ran low on memory as the Hard Drives should perform better? Is there any benefit from running a RAID 0 array under these circumstances, or should I consider setting up a RAID 1 array or Disk Spanning instead when I get my Hard Drives back (new ones)? I don't know a lot about RAID as you can probably tell, the only thing I don't like about RAID 1 is that you lose capacity by mirroring don’t you?

Assuming it's not totally knackered my system specs:
ASUS K8V (K8T800) Mobo.
AMD 64 2800+ (Newcastle).
1024 Corsair Twinx (2-3-2-6).
Sapphire Radeon X800 XT 256mb Platinum Edition (AGP).
2 x 80GB SATA Hard Drives (not sure if I’m getting the same ones).
Antec Super Lanboy ATX Tower (not the best case I have ever bought but looks nice).
Antec 550watt Pure Power PSU.
I have considered upgrading but it did score 5931 in 3D Mark 2005, and upping the CPU would not increase gaming performance by much, and it copes (did) with the other stuff I throw at it.