Help! BSOD DVD drive problem!

Aeneran

Ok whenever i insert a DVD into my DVD drive i get a bsod (blue screen of death). It says some crap about contacting my administrator??? I have had the drive for about 3 month. This problem has only started today, any help??? BTW i have updated my drivers and it is a Phillips DVDR1625K. I have checked the website for help but had no luck.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey

If I were you I would try removing the DVD drive from device manager under the control panel. Then restart and let Windows re-detect it. It could be the software that automatically launches itself when DVD is inserted. What player do you use? Try reinstalling that.

JAN :D

Aeneran

jancz3rt said:
If I were you I would try removing the DVD drive from device manager under the control panel. Then restart and let Windows re-detect it. It could be the software that automatically launches itself when DVD is inserted. What player do you use? Try reinstalling that.

Ok cheers i will try that and if there is still no luck i will post back.

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya maybe it could be the IDE cabling. Make sure that all of it is all the way in. BTW does it do it on this drive only?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm

Do you happen to have SP2? Have you installed it recently? Did you flash the firmware by any chance?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

Download an older firmware and re-flash. Or you may try flashing over the existing BIOS with the new one.

Aeneran

jancz3rt said:
Download an older firmware and re-flash. Or you may try flashing over the existing BIOS with the new one.

I have tried installing a older firmaware but havnt re-flashed. I havnt tried flashing ober the existing BIOS because baisically i dont know what that means. I'm sorry im a n00b at this sort of stuff. Any help how to do that?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Aeneran said:
I have tried installing a older firmaware but havnt re-flashed. I havnt tried flashing ober the existing BIOS because baisically i dont know what that means. I'm sorry im a n00b at this sort of stuff. Any help how to do that?

The procedure of installing newer firmware is called flashing. I did not mean flashing the BIOS. What exactly did you install? Could you rpovide us with a link to it?

Aeneran

Ok i installed this. (under software) The thing is though i was having this problem before i installed it. I thought it would fix the problem but obvioulsy hasnt. :mad:

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya dude ;)

Ok in that case, it's not the firmware causing this. Unistall XP Service pack 2. Reinstall it. If that fails, reinstall the entire Windows installation. One more thing, what does the BSOD say?

Aeneran

I dont really want to foramt windows basically because i have to much valuable information etc to loose. I could back it up onto DVD's but when i insert a DVD i get the BSOD.