Help me Build A Computer!

SatchmoNater

Hey everyone, new to the forum's here and i was wondering if you guy's could please help me out. I recently bought a computer for about $800, and i have found out that i got absolutely ripped off...here are the specs for this mighty fine rip off:

Processor: Intel Celeron Pentium 4 2.8ghz
Memory: 224 MB RAM
Page File (don't really know what this actually is): 305MB used, 241 MB availible
Graphics Card (integreated on the motherboard): SiS 661 FX1, 32.0 MB's of total memory.
Hard Drive: 76 gig's
My cooling fan is 270 v's.

So ive pretty much given up on this computer, and have decided i would be better off getting a new one. I use my computer mainly for gaming, and my price range is about $600 AUS dollars (i live in Australia, so ill be paying is Australian currency) So could you guys please help me on building this new computer? What kind of processor is good for gaming? (Found out that Celeron was one of the worst)

Maybe i can sell this computer? How much could i get? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

NOTE: I already have a monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse, all i need is the tower!!!!!

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Have a look at the CPU101, HDD101 and RAM101 :) For 600AUD dont expect to get a beast of a system by anymeans.

Kingcrims0n

If you would upgrade your ram to about 1 GB which costs around 80-150 USD and upgrade your video card to something decent your system will be good for gaming. Thats a bummer about you getting ripped off? Did you buy your system put together or just buy the parts?

SatchmoNater

Well ive decided to do this, but im not sure if it will work...

Ill upgrade to a new Athlon 64 3000 motherboard, a leadtek 6600gt graphs card and 2 x 512MB of RAM. The thing im not to sure about is if my Celeron 2.8ghz will work on my new motherboard. Will it work fine with my motherboard?

coconut

Ill upgrade to a new Athlon 64 3000 motherboard. The thing im not to sure about is if my Celeron 2.8ghz will work on my new motherboard

celerons would only work in a intel mobo. what kind of motherboard are you looking to get. You would also need a Psu. And a case. hard drive, cd rom.........ect
you would not be able to build a good pc with only $456 us. I would keep the comp you got. add some more ram. get a decent video card. Or just save up till you can afford to build a decent computer.

SatchmoNater

Ok well, i thought i'd might need a new motherboard (incase this current one doesent have an AGP slot) for GAMING. Got a good recomendation for a great Intel motherboard thats good for gaming?

I'm not going to buy a complete new computer...i'm just going to upgrade pretty much everything i have in the one i'm using now.
Things im going to keep: My 80 gig hard drive, and my Intel Celeron 2.8ghz CPU, My current tower
Thing's im going to upgrade: Upgrade to 1 gig of ram, get a new 6600 gt graphics card, 400 volts power supply and POSSIBLY a new motherboard (depending if it has an AGP slot)

So should i keep this mobo: Sis 661 100 megahertz bus clock, it say's that "A1 slot is empty" and that "A0" slot has 256MB of RAM on it.
So i'm pretty much building my own new computer, except for a few things im keeping.

Just need to know one thing: If my motherboard has an AGP slot, should i still keep it? If it doesent, whats a good Intel gaming motherboard that would work fine with my specs?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the thing im not to sure about is if my Celeron 2.8ghz will work on my new motherboard
no it wont. make sure you get the approrpiate board for your A64-3000 as it comes in S939 and S754 flavours

you would not be able to build a good pc with only $456 us.
why not?

got a good recomendation for a great Intel motherboard thats good for gaming?
For intel, pretty much any ASUS board will be sufficient

400 volts power supply
hehe you mean 400w (and have a look at the PSU 101)

so should i keep this mobo: SiS 661 100 megahertz
no.

Just need to know one thing: If my motherboard has an AGP slot, should i still keep it? If it doesent, whats a good Intel gaming motherboard that would work fine with my specs?
Unless you get a AGP card then you can get rid of the board