help! My computer isn't starting properly, kid's been pulling wires inside case!

toblerone1

New Member
I've got just the logo for some piece of hardware flashing up on the screen but the computer isn't actually loading to my start screen. I caught my kid fiddling inside the the case and i think she's pulled one of the cables out or something. I have no idea about computers, i'm pretty sure a connection is out between some bit of hardware; any ideas what to look for, as in, what should go where that would prevent the operating system from loading?
Thanks
 
Help!

I've got just the logo for some piece of hardware flashing up on the screen (motherboard i'm guessing, it's always there) but the computer isn't actually loading to my start screen. I caught my kid fiddling inside the the case and i think she's pulled one of the cables out or something. I have no idea about computers, i'm pretty sure a connection is out between some bit of hardware; any ideas what to look for, as in, what should go where that would prevent the operating system(you know, like windows, ubuntu)

As you can tell, complete computer novice here! Please help!
 
Hi, first off, welcome to the forum.
You need to relax.
Can you tell us what exactly you get after the boot up(black screen with the information)?
Does it show that your windows is loading?
 
It says boot system error

After about 15 minutes i get an error message at the top of the screen saying boot system error or something like that, boot disk not installed. What does that mean? I have ubuntu by the way not windows but i doubt that makes a difference - my wife is the computer savvy one but unfortunately she chose a really bad time to go on holiday.
Thanks if anyone can help.
 
What should i look for?

Sorry, digicam doesn't have batteries if you want pics, i'm pretty sure something's unplugged? Has Lucy done something to my harddrive? I don't know...what should i look for please?
 
Look for anything that appears to be unplugged (mainly from the hard drive like IDE/SATA cable and power cable.) Also make sure the IDE/SATA cables from the hard drive are plugged into the motherboard. It may just be that a hard drive became disconnected.
 
Your CD/DVD/HDD (IDE) should have:

One 4 pin molex, and a ribbon cable (or SATA)...

Motherboard should have 4pin and 20 (+4)...
 
Back
Top