HELP! My computer runs too slow!

paulspencer

As I keep adding stuff to my computer and it seems to be clogging up and getting more complicated, it seems to be getting slower. In the past I used to periodically reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything to be sure. But now things are so much more complicated, I can't do that so easily. I have windows xp and there are so many updates, I don't know how to get them back and running if I reformatted. In general my computer just runs slow - programs take longer to start, and simple tasks seem to take longer than they should.

Can anyone make suggetsions as to how I can speed things up without getting a new computer?

Further, with XP can you actually re-format without downloading a truckload of updates? Is this worthwhile?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I noticed on another thread started by you that your IE is full of toolbars. So run a spyware check (try Spybot). Won't hurt a virus check too...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
As I keep adding stuff to my computer and it seems to be clogging up and getting more complicated, it seems to be getting slower
Well, stuff that's cloggin up tends to run slower (think of a sewer drain)

I have windows xp and there are so many updates, I don't know how to get them back and running if I reformatted.
Goto Control Panel --> Add/remove Programs and your major updates will be listed there. Otherwise just grab the updates when you reinstall (or like me, dont bother with any stupid updates :p)

Further, with XP can you actually re-format without downloading a truckload of updates? Is this worthwhile?
In one word: slipstream.

I noticed on another thread started by you that your IE is full of toolbars
I get around that by not paying attention to the names