Help! My PC is too slow

Kal-El

Hi Everyone,

I shoot Raw photography and the images are high res.
I use Lightroom and photoshop, but when I'm applying presets to my photos, my computer starts to hum louder and starts to slow down quite drastically.

Do I need to update my graphics card or what do you guys recommend.

here's what I got:

WINDOWS 10 PRO

MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640)

AMD FX (TM) -8350 Eight Core Processor

RAM 16 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

Air cooled

64 bit operating system

Primary storage 500gb

Secondary storage 4tb

Thank you

beers

Staff member
Hello,

Probably heat or TDP related with the 8350. Those weren't that fast unless overclocked a lot and dumped a bunch of heat. They were pretty good at integer specific operations though.

You would get a lot more performance with a platform upgrade to Ryzen or Intel, although if your workloads are already CUDA accelerated you could probably see the most gains with a faster GPU. If your CPU utilization pegs at 100% during the job then I'd focus on the CPU, plus that platform came out around 2012 so getting pretty up there in age.

Kal-El

Hello,

Probably heat or TDP related with the 8350. Those weren't that fast unless overclocked a lot and dumped a bunch of heat. They were pretty good at integer specific operations though.

You would get a lot more performance with a platform upgrade to Ryzen or Intel, although if your workloads are already CUDA accelerated you could probably see the most gains with a faster GPU. If your CPU utilization pegs at 100% during the job then I'd focus on the CPU, plus that platform came out around 2012 so getting pretty up there in age.

Thanks for your reply.

What Intel build would you recommend with a 3k budget? Could I salvage any parts from my current PC such as my ssd and hdd for the new build to save money? liquid or air cooling, what is better or what lasts longer (pros and cons)?
Also, would you please provide links for the Intel build? Oh also, I'm not computer savvy, so try to use lamen's terms if possible. Cuda acceleration, CPU pegging at 100% all flew over my head! hahaha...but I get the gist of it.

DJboutit

Your computer has decent specs it is good enough for surfing the web. Now if you going to be gaming with games that are 4 years old or new or video editing these specs will not cut it. About 11 months ago I got a Dell XPS 8500 with I7 3370 cpu 12gb DDR3 HD 7700 video card and 1.8TB hard for $280 off Facebook Market Place. You should be able to get a nice used I7 with 12gb to 16gb with a decent video card in the $400 to $500 range off of Facebook Market Place Offerup or Craigslist this would be a decent upgrade from what you have now.

beers

Staff member
You might be able to dust it out and re-apply thermal paste to the CPU if it's throttling from heat.
About 11 months ago I got a Dell XPS 8500 with I7 3370 cpu 12gb DDR3 HD 7700 video card and 1.8TB hard for $280
That approach is a huge waste for this dude's situation.