[Help] Notebook file corrupted

roganjosh93

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with an issue i have on my younger sisters notebook. I don't understand how it has happened but the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted and i can't get on to the actual computer.

The whole message i am receiving is;

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl
Please re-install a copy of the above file

Now obviously with a notebook, it is extremely hard for me to re-install the above file without using a external CD-ROM, however i cannot install the CD-ROM which means i cannot boot the xp disc. If anyone could offer any tips at all about what would be the best course of action then please let me know. I would rather not take it back to the shop, i'd rather get it sorted out myself.

The external CD-ROM i am using is the Freecom Technologies Traveller CD-ROM

Thankyou very much and swift replies are greatly appreciated

R

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have a recovery partition on that hard drive for that system. You will need to boot to it and have it reinstall windows. However, it may have 2 options available. First option would be to do a destructive restore where it formats the drive and sets it back to original factory condition when you bought it. The second option would be a non destructive restore where it reinstalls and saves all user data but I would still back up data by slaving the hard drive to a desktop system.

bodtree

My netbook (no cdrom) detected the USB cdrom as in the bios you can set it to use USB when booting. Enable this stick in XP and use the recovery console to recover XP to its working state. It might work it might not either way I would try it before destroying her data!

Can you press F8 when booting and get to safe mode?