help partitioning

brian

VIP Member
i have vista. partition magic cant run on vista (or is there somehting i can do) and i just tried gparted but i cant start the x server. is there something i can do? or use?

PC eye

banned
If you grabbed the wrong version of GParted with the "start x" tool it is a newer non MS compatible release then the 0.3.3.0 version found at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828

The 0.3.3.0 release is also the fastest loading version of the few "platform independent" versions that were released. Vista now has the ability to resize and even reformat drives while booting from the installation disk. At the bottom of the screen where you see the install now button another button goes to a second screen for choosing repair tools where the options for drive tools are found.

If this is on a second drive the Disk Management tool is still available in Vista for deleting, creating. and now resizing partitions. Look under "Control Panel>Administative Tools>Computer Management>Storage" like you would in XP. If this is on the laptop in your sig then GParted 0.3.3.0 or the recovery disk may have the drive tools seen there. For a single drive system or simply the OSed drive you will need a bootable media like a cd-r used for GParted to work with. What are you trying to do there? split the drive - move or resize a partition -delete or create one?

brian

VIP Member
thx. i tried the disk management and it cant shrink it enough. so wait the gparted is not conpadibel. i downloaded the latesed. 0.3.4-8 are you saying that 0.3.3.0 is good. i want to resize my C:\ drive from 80 to 70 GB WITH OUT losing my data. and make a new 10 GB drive.