Help please ?

Josh_1995

Hi there everyone,

I have just finished building my Desktop PC, and i'm starting to have problems with it already. I think i have a problem with my HDD (IDE), because everytime i go to install something on it, it freezes up. I left it for over an hour hoping it would start responding, but nothing happened. Eventually i had to hold down the power button to turn it off. After that i turned it back on and my OS had completely gone. I then booted up my Vista disc to try and reinstall Windows. I got to the part on the installation where you choose which HDD you want to install Windows on, clicked my HDD, and it started installing. Shortly after i got a message saying that Windows couldn't put a drive letter to the HDD. So then i left Vista, and tried Windows Xp. Windows Xp installed fine, but since then ive had it freezing constantly. Last time it froze was pretty bad......None of the OS Installation discs recognise a HDD anymore......Help please ?

Btw the computer specs are as follows:

MSI G31TM-P35 motherboard
Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3300 @ 2.5GHZ
160GB IDE HDD
2.5GB DDR2 Ram

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You either may have a bad hard drive or a wrong setting in the bios. You can download the hard drive makers disk diagnostic utility and run it on the drive. You said you had an IDE hard drive, is this an older drive, cause i was wondering why you didn't get a SATA hard drive and keep the IDE slot open for the cdrom drives.

Josh_1995

I've got an IDE HDD because my power supply didn't come with any Sata power connections, and as im only 14 and i dont get much money, i only bought 1 molex to sata adaptor and used it for the DVD drive "/