Help. REFURBISHED: MAXTOR 200GB

Scrapped>.<

hi
I think i ask a similer question before. any way this is my quetions.

I am looking for a hardrive just for storage. and i found this REFURBISHED: MAXTOR 200GB on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-324R&type=Refurbish
is it ok to get a REFURBISHED hardrive? and this harddrive is OEM only.
so
do i need some kind of software to formate it first before i can use it? or i can just pop it in to my computer and go?
I remember someone said that REFURBISHED harddrive may have bad sectors. what does that mean?
any way. i only have 15days before the sale is final. (i have not buy it yet)
is there anything that i can use to test the hard drive to see if it is ok or not?

kof2000

referbished is a return product i think so there may be data on the drive still. you need to format or not. they do warn you about buying refurbish product, is up to you to take the risk.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
referbished is a return product I think so there may be data on the drive still.
There wont be any data. Refurbished just means it was returned the the OEM and they cleaned/fixed it, formatted it and are reselling it.

Scrapped>.<

Praetor said:
There wont be any data. Refurbished just means it was returned the the OEM and they cleaned/fixed it, formatted it and are reselling it.
so
does that mean i don't have to do anything to the harddrive when i get it? like formating it before i can use it.
so all i need to do is put it into my computer and the 200GB will just show up in my (My computer) ready to save the date on it? :confused:
:confused:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Scrapped>.< said:
so
does that mean i don't have to do anything to the harddrive when i get it? like formating it before i can use it.
so all i need to do is put it into my computer and the 200GB will just show up in my (My computer) ready to save the date on it? :confused:

you will need to install OS on it, unless its jsut a data drive or w/e. You have to make sure 1 IDE channel on you mobo will take 200GB, some wont. if it doesnt it will only give you like 130gb or w/e the max GB for one channel is. You can download drivers online and stuff...so software shouldn't be necessary.

Scrapped>.<

4W4K3 said:
you will need to install OS on it, unless its jsut a data drive or w/e. You have to make sure 1 IDE channel on you mobo will take 200GB, some wont. if it doesnt it will only give you like 130gb or w/e the max GB for one channel is. You can download drivers online and stuff...so software shouldn't be necessary.
how can i find out if my computer 1 IDE channel on you mobo will take 200GB?

this is the model and brand of my computer.

Sony - PCV-RX550
P4