help upgrade q6600 computer

stewj

New Member
Hello, I have a dell XPS 410 with a 2 quad Q6600 processor, 1G, GeForce 8600 GT video. I would like to get this to play current games. I assume my processor is still good but what do I need to upgrade to speed games and photoshop up? How much ram? I think the video card is the bottleneck but I have no idea what to upgrade to and what is compatable.
 
no hard budget. I guess I would like to see what would be the best for this processor and what would be middle of the road and decide if the cost is worth going all out. I would like something that is installable without alot of computer build experience.
 
Those look about right as far as cost. Will they be a plug and play install with my dell running XP? Will the video card pretty much alow me to play any game and be a significant upgrade over my current card?
 
Yeah definatly upgrade that card,Its holding you back now.

Shame your system is a Dell,or i would have said overclock your Q6600 to 3.2-3.4Ghz or so,Its quite a boost from stock. :)
 
any 500w or higher from a reputable brand. (Corsair, OCZ, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Seasonic, CoolerMaster, and theres many more)
 
Will the video card pretty much alow me to play any game and be a significant upgrade over my current card?

Absolutely.

I would also recommend the HD 5770, but I was shooting for around $200 for a starting point.

If you can afford it, get the HD 5770 and a quality power supply as stated.
 
I was looking at the 5770 cards on newegg. There is more that one, what is the difference? Which one do I need to get for my Dell?
 
Back
Top