Help w/ my Gateway

jbrewster11

I have a Gateway 500S that I'm trying to upgrade the memory on. I saw some memory cards on Pricewatch.com (512 MB) for around $50-70. But as I was doing some research, I found that you need to make sure you are purchasing the correct chipset (I believe) otherwise the memory card will not work. I think my computer takes a 32MBx8x64 chipset, but Gateway could not tell me this information. Am I talking about something else when I refer to chipset? What do I need for a memory card? Also, I may possibly get a new Hard Drive/Motherboard in the near future. Can I change the HD w/out changing the M-board? Should I wait on the memory until I get the HD/M-board? Thanks.

Super_Nova

Gateways work with pretty generic stuff. I use to swipe crap out of the gateways at my old job all the time because they were throwing them away and they worked find with my generic stuff and vice versa. I can give you more info if you give me your serial number.

jbrewster11

Thanks for the help. My SN is 0026429100 SUPER. I talked to some guys at Memory-X.com and they told me (contrary to what Gateway said) that I can get two 1 GB cards in it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you can get two 1GB sticks or not is depdenent on the motherboard's DIMM limit :)