Help, what should i do

scottymac

New Member
I am not big into tech and hardware and have a problem.

My current computer is an ACER M3100 , upgrades are a ATI HD3870 512md GDDR4 graphics card with du-orb cooler, and a 750W thermaltake power supply. The graphics card seems it has plenty more potential, the graphics are great and smooth until there is multiple objects (where computer has to think).

My problem is I want to upgrade slightly in order to be able to play my games on better graphics. The CPU is an AMD Phenom 9500 2.4ghz quad core and not sure what the mother board is, has 4gb memory.

I mainly play games like company of heroes and lock on (LOMAC) flaming cliffs, DCS black shark.

My question is, I want to upgrade but which would give me better bang for buck, should I upgrade graphics card or is the slowness being caused by my processor.

If so what should I be looking to upgrade, budget about $350
 
I would probably upgrade the RAM, CPU and the GPU(graphics card) but first you need to tell us more about your computer(motherboard specifically). Download a program called CPU-Z. Once you've opened it up go into the mainboard tab, and read us out everything it says in there.
 
Okay

Motherboard
Manufacturer - Acer
Chipset - ATI RS690/RS690M Rev. 00
Southbridge - ATI SB600
LPCIO - ITE IT8718

BIOS
Brand - Pheonix Technologies, LTD
Version - R02-B1
Date - 01/08/2008

Graphic Interface
Version PCI-Express
Link width x16 Max Supported x16

Memory
General
Type DDR2 Channels # Dual
Size 4096mb DC mode Ganged
NB Frequency 1795.5MHz
Timings
DRAM Freq 332.5MHz
FSB:DRAM 3:5
CAS#Latency (CL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle time(tRAS) 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Here is hopefully some usefull info, what to do, if I need to upgrade what should I upgrade to?
 
What is your current GPU?

What I can understand from your post is that you want to upgrade to an HD 3870 correct?

Everything seems fine, your processor isn't bottlenecking you that's for sure.
 
Hello, thanks for your help thus far, is appreciated

I currently am running a HD3870, what I am trying to find out is if i upgrade to something like a hd4870x2 will my processor and motherboard hold it back bucketloads?

So will I be better off upgrading first the CPU, CPU and RAM or CPU/Motherboard and RAM. Or will just upgrading the graphics card give me decent results?

Thanks
 
Hello, thanks for your help thus far, is appreciated

I currently am running a HD3870, what I am trying to find out is if i upgrade to something like a hd4870x2 will my processor and motherboard hold it back bucketloads?

So will I be better off upgrading first the CPU, CPU and RAM or CPU/Motherboard and RAM. Or will just upgrading the graphics card give me decent results?

Thanks

The CPU should be OK for now, and I think you should be fine with upgrading the GPU by itself. At this point in time there's no reason to upgrade to a 4870 as it's outdated and does not support dx11. For a good mainstream GPU that should be able to play those games you mentioned, I would recommend a 5770
 
Back
Top