Help with Computer Problems

joek

Whenever I play computer games or run programs on my computer, it randomly restarts the computer by itself without any warning. My computer is pretty descent. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
First off, saying your computer is "pretty decent" tells us NOTHING. I still consider my old Thunder bird "pretty decent"

But, from what you said, I'd suspect a power supply problem. Either too weak or just a faulty one.

joek

i just got a new 480watt power supply

my computer has:
3.07 ghz
syntax mobo
radeon 9600 series 128 mb
cd-rom
480 watts power supply
1g ram
120gb harddrive
that's about it.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm not sure what you mean by not matching... But if it started after the new power supply, that's probably your problem. I would assume you have a cheap power supply in there and it's probably not putting out decent amps. Or even new ones could be faulty...

joek

what kind of power supply do you suggest?
btw the problem was always there from the beginning and i just changed the power supply and the problem was still there

saurabh008

I think its tempreture problem as well. Check what tempreture your CPU is running at. You can do that by going into the BIOS settings. Check what is the tempreture limit for your CPU which will depend on its model. You might wanna try this site http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm. If its too high try fixing up the clutters of wire inside your computer. You can even try getting a better cooling system for your CPU.

saurabh008

That can be one of the main reasons. Try cleaing up the cable clutters inside the computer so that there is an easy circulation of air. Remove any cables that are not in use. Try cleaning up the cpu heatsink. It can accumulate a thick coating of dust which might prevent the air flow. You can use a small painting brush to do that. If you can take out the heatsink and clean it that would be the best. But if you don't know how to don't worry about it. Make sure you don't leave the dust on the motherboard. If even after all this computer improperly shuts down again you might wanna buy a new heatsink for your CPU

BlueBaja

It doesn't seem like a heat problem if it only happens during gaming. Games demand the most out of your system's RAM, so if you have a bad memory card your system will be overdrawing memory and will reboot. If you're playing games like UT2004 or Battlefield and your computer is rebooting I would suggest going to www.memtest86.com and using their free memory testing program. I used it a while back at showed me my memory was failing, replaced the memory and no rebooting during game play (or at all for that matter).

Good luck.

joek

joek said:
mobo:

syntax s648

power supply:

GrandLab ATX- 480w

how do i adjust temperature?

If i do change my ram, what kind of model/brand/mb is good for my computer?
suggestions please~