Help with wiping computer

Pablicosta

Hello, first post here :D

I hope someone can help me here,

Okay, so I want to wipe everything off my computer and start again with it. I saw my step dad do it a few times before, but I never worked out how to start the process, and more importantly what CD's I need to bring the PC back to life afterwords.
I want to run Windows XP, as I do now, but what CD's or programs are critical to getting the system back?
I would also like to know how to go about wiping the system in the first place.

Thanks in advance,

~James

Lax

VIP Member
First make sure you have all the CD's that came with the computer (if it is a name brand). Find the Operating System disk or the XP disk (Dell disc will be purple, store bought will be green or holographic) put that in the drive and turn it on. If the boot order is set correctly you should see a message that says "press any key to boot from CD Rom...." if not then you need to go into the BIOS (usually F2 or DEL) and change the boot order (usually under the BOOT menu). Make the CD-ROM the first boot device and save the settings and restart. Once it boots to the CD hit enter-->F8-->select the current partition and delete it (Prompts are on the bottom of the screen). Create a new partition with C and format it using the NTFS file system (not QUICK). After it formats and partitions it will restart itself, when the option comes back to boot from CD again don't hit anything, just let it boot. The XP installation will come up and it will start the process of installing XP. Follow the prompts and setup your timezone and LAN settings if it asks. It will finish the install and then reboot itself again, it will then ask for your Serial Key, usually on the side of the computer (if it's a brand name desktop) or the bottom (if it's a brand name laptop). If you bought XP from the store the Serial Key will be on the package that the disc came in. Put it in and let it complete the setup. After it restarts again you can remove the CD from the drive and boot into windows. From there all you need are your driver disc's that came with the parts to your computer (Dell discs will be blue). Install all the drivers, your favorite AV, Anti-Spyware, and FW as necessary.

Pablicosta

Hmmm, I didnt personally set up the PC, so I dont know what came with it exactly. Should I just need the XP set up disks or are there others, assuming I dont want to install anything other than the Internet (the CD for which I have).?

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Yes, you should only need the XP disc, that is ofcourse if Win XP is able to find drivres for your graphics, if it doesnt then you will need to find the discs for them too. If you cant find the discs then go to www.driverguide.com. You can get all drivers from there.

Lax

VIP Member
XP won't find motherboard drivers (for everything onboard) so you will need the mobo disc.

Pablicosta

Lord AnthraX said:
XP won't find motherboard drivers (for everything onboard) so you will need the mobo disc.

Damn, I can't even find the XP disc, nevermind any Motherboard Drivers. This sucks.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
LOL, take your time and dont get confused, just read everything that comes up on screen, i done myself up a kipper a couple of times by being a bit too "click-happy".

Pablicosta

HA, I win!
I found a 'Product Recovery' cd, which I ran, that deleted everything and gave me XP back without the CD. Then it prompted me to install my Internet, which I was expecting to have to wrestle with, but no, smooth as anything.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pablicosta

dragon2309 said:
Well done mate, does everything work now?????

Cheers. It appears to, exceot for one CD, which wont run, but other than that everything is rosey. Oh, and I have to remember what the thing was to disable windows messenger...damnit!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I want to run Windows XP, as I do now, but what CD's or programs are critical to getting the system back?
A WindowsXP installation CD

I would also like to know how to go about wiping the system in the first place.
Its a step that you can do during the install. Have a look at http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Unless its older

I found a 'Product Recovery' cd, which I ran, that deleted everything and gave me XP back without the CD.
Ok so you did a recovery rather than "wipe everything off and start over"

Cheers. It appears to, exceot for one CD, which wont run, but other than that everything is rosey. Oh, and I have to remember what the thing was to disable windows messenger...damnit!
1. What CD?
2. Control Panel --> Add Remove --> Windows Components --> Uncheck windows messenger