Help

spacedude89

ok, so i get home and turn on my computer, an error message comes up about the agp power not being plugged in for the videocard (system specs below), so i go wtf?? :eek: , i check, the cables plugged in fine, try again, same message, so i tried another power cable, and it doesnt have the error message now, woohoo, (i later plug in the first cable and it works again??) but now, it doesnt start up windows, it has an error message, cannot find NTLDR, press CTL+ALT+DEL to reboot, so i do so and check all my bios settings, they are fine, i start up again, same message, i double check the bios, i checked the cables, i tryed different cables, i did everything i can thing of. i am currently in
a liveDVD of suse linux, suse can see both my hard drives, and can show how much space is used.
i cannot open the hard drive to take a look, but i think thats because i have to have root axcess in suse, but im a linux noob and dont know how to do that, (i knew in knoppix but i forgot)

SOO... if anyone has any ideas, please share, and if anyone can tell me how to get root axcess (or whatever) in suse, please tell me so i can take a look at the hard drive,

PLEASE HELP!

oh, and the computer worked fine when i last turned it off, the only thing different that i can think of is that it asked me to let in finish installing windows updates before turning off computer, i let it.

apj101

VIP Member
it sounds like the windows updates "upset" your system. i am unsure however of how to fix the problem
great post

Had a poke around and found this two solutions
To start the computer and use the Recovery Console to replace the MBR

1. Insert the Windows XP Professional Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Restart the computer. If prompted to press a key to start the computer from the CD-ROM, press the appropriate key.
3. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Press the R key to repair a Windows XP Professional installation.
4. If you are repairing a system that has more than one operating system installed, from the Recovery Console choose the Windows XP Professional installation that you need to repair.

Note
* If you press ENTER without typing a number, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer.
* The Recovery Console might also show valid installations of Windows NT 4.0. However, the results of attempting to access a Windows NT 4.0 installation can be unpredictable.

5. When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you do not have the correct password, or if the security database for the installation of Windows XP Professional you are attempting to access is corrupted, Recovery Console does not allow access to the local disks and you cannot repair the MBR.
6. To replace the MBR, at the Recovery Console command prompt, type:

fixmbr

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console to replace the boot sector

1. Insert the Windows XP Professional Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Restart the computer. If prompted to press a key to start the computer from the CD-ROM, press the appropriate key.
3. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Press the R key to repair a Windows XP Professional installation.
4. If you are repairing a system that has more than one operating system installed, from the Recovery Console choose the Windows XP Professional installation that you need to repair.

Note
* If you press ENTER without typing a number, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer.
* The Recovery Console might also show valid installations of Windows NT 4.0. However, the results of attempting to access a Windows NT 4.0 installation can be unpredictable.
5. When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you do not have the correct password, or if the security database for the installation of Windows XP Professional that you are attempting to access is corrupted, Recovery Console does not allow access to the local disks and you cannot replace the boot sector.
6. To replace the boot sector, at the Recovery Console command prompt, type:

fixboot [drive:]

give them a try, odds are whatever fix you do, your going to be using recovery console

spacedude89

i can reinstall windows if i want, my main hard drive shows up in the windows install dialoge, but in the repair dialog, only my second hard drive shows up. wtf..?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
an error message comes up about the agp power not being plugged in for the videocard (system specs below), so i go wtf?? , i check, the cables plugged in fine, try again, same message, so i tried another power cable
What PSU do you have?

i can reinstall windows if i want, my main hard drive shows up in the windows install dialoge, but in the repair dialog, only my second hard drive shows up. wtf..?
Well if you're reinstalling, why are you repairing? ;)