*Help~!*

Jkun

Holy crap. I spend money on a video card, but my monitor has to be awesome too, else I'll still lag in games?

This is getting depressing.

I have a 4-5 year old Gateway monitor, that will only reach 85HZ (With 1024 by 768). I don't totally understand all of this, so I just wrote it down, 'case someone else does...

HF 81.2KHz
VF 100.0HZ

Operating Frequency
HF: 30-70KHZ
VF: 50-160HZ

Like I said, I can only get it to go to 85HZ. Could someone explain to me what all of this means? Will I be spending money on a tower, only to then have to shell out yet another 100-200 dollars on another peice of hardware? It'd be nice to know before I send in my order at Newegg.

Edit: Can go higher, with lower res. Still, highest I got the refresh rate was 100 hertz.

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
A monitor's horizontal scan frequency is the number of lines illuminated on a video screen in one second, or how long it takes to scan each of the horizontal lines that make up the display, measured in kilohertz (kHZ).
If we note the refresh rate by VF and the number of horizontal lines with VR, then the HF (horizontal frequency) is HF = (VR + x) * VF (where x is the number of lines that are outside the screen area).
So the max refresh rate can be estimated by VF' = HF / VR.
The max HF is 70 kHz (according to your monitor's specs), VR = 768 at a 1024 x 768 resolution and for max refresh rate we get approx. 70000 / 800 = 87.5 Hz.
So 85 Hz is the maximum refresh rate at that resolution.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I think you have a driver problem if you've got a good enough card and at least a 65hz monitor. you have monitor drivers installed?