Help

kobaj

VIP Member
Hello, How do I connect one computer to another computer that connects to the internet and have the second computer get internet. Simple right, well how do you do it when the second computer can only connect to the first computer through the serial port and still get internet to both.

Geoff

VIP Member
so your saying that you cant get internet when you hook both computers up using a crossover cable?

kobaj

VIP Member
...no...My laptop doesnt have a ethernet port or a an option to add an ethernet card. So I want to connect the laptop to my pc (which does have ethernet and thats how it gets its internet) and be able to get my laptop internet. And the only other port on my laptop is a serial and that how I want to connect it.

kobaj

VIP Member
Serial can be wireless? I just want it as cheap as can be. But if wireless is like 2 more dollers than wired, Ill do wireless. But if it is like 15 dollers more than wired than no wireless.

messiahnet

i'll help ya out

Sharing internet over a serial cable IS very possible. I used to do this. Since serial cables are VERY slow (10 kbytes/second), it would be pointless to try and set this up. In this case, you pretty much have three options:

1) Do you have a USB port on your laptop? If so, get a USB ethernet adapter (NIC). That would be the best way, hands down.

2) If you have a USB port, you can also direct cable connect with that. You need a special cable though. Parallel Technologies makes something called the "Net-Linq USB Connection Cable". Transfer rates are around 500 Kbytes/second. Go find one and buy it.

3) Parallel (Printer) ports can also be used for this. Using standard cables, transfer rates are only slightly better than serial cables (50-60 Kbytes/second). But Parallel Technologies makes a special cable for this, too. It's called the "DirectParallel® Universal Fast Cable" It will allow around 500 Kbytes/second. That should be sufficient for the job.

When using options 2 or 3, here's how to set up a DCC (Direct Cable Connection):

In Windows XP, on your PC with the internet go to Control Panel->Network Connections. Double-Click the New Connection Wizard. Click next, then choose to set up an advanced connection. Click next and choose to accept incoming connections. Choose your parallel port from the menu. click next. If it asks if you want to accept VPN (Virtual Private Network) connections, say no. Allow whatever usernames to connect. Click next. If you need help setting up network protocols (tcp/ip, etc), contact me or post again in this forum. finish the wizard. Go and do the same on your laptop only tell it to connect directly to another computer.

I'm kinda tired of typing. If you need help with Windows 98/95 or anything else, contact me or post. Hope that helps.

kobaj

VIP Member
Awsome. Oh ya I know if it had usb I would have done that but the thing is like 5 years old. THanks.

Last edited: