Here's a hard question....

SickSixx6

I'm working on a buddy's computer. I can't tell you exact specs becuase I do not know. Basically it is a 1.4 Athlon with a gig of ram.

Long story short, he was complaining that Windows XP was restarting randomly. The computer was basically empty except for a few games. The consenus was format it and re-install. Seemed to be easier than picking it apart. Well, now Windows XP or 2000 will not go back on.

The computer encounters a file copy error everytime I install. The error always occurs around 65-75 percent. I have tried everything possible. Different hard drive, formatting different ways, FDisking it. One time I was able to skip some files and get closer, then I got a stop error. I'm annoyed.

If I was to guess, I would say a chip/motherboard issue. What do you think? If it was my comp, I'd trash it and get a new one, but alas, it is not.

SickSixx6

You think?

To add a litlte info, Windows 98 went on fine. And I used 2 different XP discs and 2 different 2000 discs.

cthomas10uk

do you get a window box come up .. saying windows is about to restart in 1 min.. and a timer comes up
if it is that you might have the sassa viruse cus windows XP sp1 has that in it

SickSixx6

No I get no box. It just restarted straight up.

So far I have heard flash the bios, bad RAM, chip/motherboard problems, bad CD-ROM.

I guess I'll tell them to start wth CD ROM since they are almost free now.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a guranteed fix but I find that 9 times out of 10 when you get 'some file couldn't be read' during a windowsXP/2000 install its a disc or cd drive problem

SickSixx6

It says something about "Setup cannot copy the file XXXXXXX.XXX
To retry press enter
to skip press f3
to quit press escape.

SickSixx6

No...put I find it highly unlikely that both of these CD ROMS aren't able to read 4 seperate CDs. The odds of that seem really low. That fact combined with the unusal restarting and stop errors is pointing more towwards Chip/motherboard I'm afraid.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i've had (having) problems with this on my system... i changed every component in my system and i've narrowed it down to my processor... i've just had to RMA the thing... i wouldn't say the processor is the problem here because the system you're talking about doesn't have a memory controller on the CPU.
it could be the motherboard, but all the other suggestions are equally as valid