Hey, couple quick questions..........

supernoob

Hey all, I just purchased a new pc: t2862: 2.6/256/60 I know I need more memory, but what sort of video card am I in need of? Like 4x or 8x? Honestly, I want to play Doom and FarCry. But I do have a pretty tight bugdet.

Real quick, on the RAM.....My ram is pc2700....does this mean that the next stick I put in there should be the same? ie: pc2700 w/pc3200?

Thanks all.
Supernoob.

speedyink

VIP Member
pretty much all of the moderatley new video cards are 8x, its a matter of what your motherboard will handle. Ya, Obviously more ram. both Doom and FarCry have a recommended 1 GB of ram. I have 512mb of ram and farcry was pretty laggy from what I could tell was a lack of ram (computer was constently loading crap while in the game)

supernoob

ok...

yeah, I definately need more ram.....stock emachine. About the video card, basically go with 256mb card? Dont have a ton of cash to drop on it, looking for maybe something a little outdated but wont leave me sidelined...

supernoob

ok........

This isnt a very busy forum............anyways ill just go with ati 9800 pro should be fine according to tomshardware.com

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Like 4x or 8x?
Most cards that you can buy are 8X cards which work in 4X slots so you might as well get a 8X card considering they dont cost much more than 4X cards of the same make.

Ya, Obviously more ram. both Doom and FarCry have a recommended 1 GB of ram.
But the interesting thing with Doom3 and its optimizations is that theres little in the way of FPS improvements from 256MB to 1GB :D (it does help the loadtimes tons tho)

Dont have a ton of cash to drop on it, looking for maybe something a little outdated but wont leave me sidelined...
Well whats the budget?

This isnt a very busy forum............anyways ill just go with ati 9800 pro should be fine according to tomshardware.com
1. Thats cuz I had exams.
2. Christmas season
3. 9800Pro is a good card .. again, whats the budget