hey guys i wanna add more memory to my desktop

Lonewolf

and I'm not really sure what I need. I'm new to computers and i just bought this hp. it has two sticks totaling 12 gb and you can add up to 32 gb. I wanna get two 16gb sticks. here's what it says on the box. does it have to be sdramm memory? thanks for any advise you can give meunnamed12.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What makes you think you need more memory? What do you do on the computer?

If you actually do need more memory then you need to get DDR4 3200mhz memory. However, Motherboard specifications says UDIMM and HP says regular sdram. You might have to check what the model of existing ram is and get matching.

Lonewolf

im gonna use it for online forums, checking my emails etc etc. i dont do any gaming. heres a pic of the memory sticks i pulled out of it. hopefully the numbers on it mean something to you

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 3

beers

Staff member
What do you feel it's lacking currently?

I've had a couple casual computing customers do the 12G+SSD route but it's generally performant in that area.

Lonewolf

its not lacking anything. I just always figured bigger is better. I have always had laptops and this is my first desktop so I kinda wanted to see what I could do to make it a little faster

Intel_man

VIP Member
You can make your desktop less sluggish by uninstalling the bloatware that comes on HP computers. You can start by uninstalling McAfee.

Darren

Staff member
Just to chime in and add that adding more RAM does absolutely nothing unless you're actually getting close to your limit. If you're using 60 percent of 12GB, for a total of 7.2GB used and bump it up to having 32GB, you're still going to be using about 7.2GB for the same workload and the extra overhead does nothing for you. Yes Windows will allocate things a bit differently but for that workload I doubt you'd be pushing it with 12GB of RAM. If you're regularly using 80 percent or more though, it might be worth it. Can monitor usage from task manager.