Hi all

keith234783

I have a Dell Inspiron 5570, windows 11 version 10.0.22621.
All my system attributes folders have been set to read only. I have re-set BIOS to factory settings, i have reinstalled windows using a image also from both USB/DVD and the folders are still set to read only? It may be a problem in DOS? Ransomware, virus. Can any one give me advise or a solution please. thank you.

Keith

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you did the fresh install did you delete the existing partitions and then repartition it again? If not, you didn't do a fresh install. Bios will have nothing to do with your issue here. It's possible this is malware related. Have you scanned your system with Malwarebytes? Are you able to download and install programs?

keith234783

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did delete all the partitions, including the recovery just in case this had the problem. I don't have the option to re-format or re-partition the drive. When I delete the partitions, my system wipes the drive then creates new partitions. I have no problems downloading etc.
The problem only affects me when trying to save files into the folders. If the software I am using has an export option I can get round the folder problem. I have just used AVG Free on Deep scan, and got the attached message, this won't have anything to do with the problem I don't think.
I have also used Malwarebytes it has detected 16 and quarantined these. I have re-started my system, problem still there.

Screen dump's of Threat And Folder Problem.
Regards Keith

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.png
    3.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The Program Files folder is Read Only, users aren't allowed to put anything in there. Most system folders created by windows won't be able to be changed in any way, there is a reason for that. Can you explain more in detail on exactly your issue is? You should only be worried if the folders that you create yourself is set to read only.

keith234783

Hi John Thank you for your reply.
The screen dump of the folder was just an example, every folder no matter what folder name is set to read only.
Further selection on my folders. 2 on C drive only, 1 in program folder.
I have downloaded and tried to installed Malwarebytes, the EXE file is identified as malware and removed from my system.
Can you advise me the best software to use?

Regards Keith

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.png
    3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.png
    4.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 2

keith234783

Hi John
Thanks again for your reply.
The folder i picked was a bad example, i should have picked another sorry. all folders created by me or windows are read only, the 2 examples attached are first on c: drive only, second in a Temp folder on the c: drive. I have downloaded Malwarebytes, while install it the EXE File is identified as malware and removed from my system? Other than Windows Defender i have no other software that i know of installed, i can't see defender removing the file?

Regards Keith

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.png
    1.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have downloaded and tried to installed Malwarebytes, the EXE file is identified as malware and removed from my system.
What identifies it as malware? AVG? I highly suspect that you are infected malware. Have you had any weird screens pop up? Any unknown programs installed? Try booting to safe mode with networking and download malwarebytes from here.

You may even have to reset the pc back to original condition and start over.

keith234783

Morning John

Are you on about removing the mother board battery? I heard this option a long time ago but have never tried it? Will this reset the mother board to Factory defaults.
Regards Keith

keith234783

Hi John
I have been using computers for over 30 Years and have been backing up my software for a long time now. Found out to my cost in the past how important it is. I have deleted every partition from the drive, it has previously been re-formatted and partitioned before installing windows 11 downloaded as an iso from the Microsoft web site. I will give it another go and see what happens thanks. I have run IObit Malware pro 9.4 in Safe Mode, removed more problems? but still no joy with the folders,
If this won't work then maybe a complete overhaul with a hammer will work.
Regards Keith

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Let me ask you this, Can you use the pc normally? I just checked some of my folders and they are also listed as read only but if you check permissions in the security tab, I still have full access to do anything. I just created a new folder on my desktop and check attributes and it says read only as well.

So I really wouldn't be too concerned right now. I don't think I've ever seen this before. Maybe it was an update that did this. I mean as long as I still have access to these folders i'm good.

keith234783

HI John
So the hammer won't work?
Yes thanks the laptop runs ok, I can also download ok, You may be correct about the Update? the only thing is when using some software i can't use the Save As or Save option. I am ok if the software has a export option. As I am the tutor for Photoshop at my local camera club the save as and save options are used all the time. But i can get round that. I will see how it goes thanks.

Thank you for all your help with this problem? I hope i never have to do it again or we will both go daft.
regards

beers

Staff member
The square just means that -some- of the files have those attributes.

The checkmark would indicate that -all- files have those attributes.