Hi what can I fit in a socket 775. Getting 3.9ghz now (3.40x..)

kanelr

Hi all. New to forum. A long time ago, for a machine dedicated to audio recording only, I built a PC around a pentium extreme dual core cpu and an evga board. That was all the cpu you could get for my 200 or whatever back then. It was my first 64 bit project, and I used a tall gamer's cooler , heat sinks on the ram, 750 watt power supply etc. it was great for multitrack recording. I want to re-enlist this studio machine again but would like to add some speed without a big change etc. even though so so much has improved. I can not add ram as the board supports max 4x2GB. (buyers remorse) I just now Added SSD drives and that made a noticeable difference during recording. Raising FBS short of issues gets me to 3.9GHZ. 1250 fronrt bus speed and at x13 (It boots to 4.1 but the application freezes often). I would like a newer machine however I do not want to go through the arduous process of getting re-licences and machine id based access numbers etc. it was fast enough, it's just wearing a bit. this is now a hobby

So its a pentium extreme ( the 2 core one ) it's also hyper threaded. I have the EVGHA 750i SLI FTW motherboard. WinXP64, because of the recording software.
I do not know which exact cpu I have until i remove the cooler but it wasn't the prescott. I do seem to remember something about texas instead of malaysia 4x2Gb ddr2 5200/800, accessory slots all full with music cards. Typically runnng 3 or 4 drives though now the main 2 are SSD. Never online ever.

Questions
1- will a 9650 3.0GHZ quad core fit, and be an improvement?
2-Is there a faster old extreme chip?. .....other than the 700.00 one
3-is there a way to set up something as additional Ram? I found 4GB ram modules but they are all stating AMD only in the listings.
Thanks , especially to any cyber-palientoligists

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Completely replace the machine. Socket 775 has been dead for almost 15 years at this point.

Compare that CPU to the one I currently run.

1674845008383.png

beers

Staff member
Q9650 is what like $50 on ebay, it'd be a better play to roll that into a newer system.

You can get a Q9500 for like, $12 shipped, which might be enough to revive that old system with a couple more cores, otherwise I wouldn't put anything that much more substantial into that.

kanelr

Yes but re-registering my old plugins* will cost about 4k, and the system works. think of it like an old tractor that will still plow ok I just need new spark plugs, not A.C., GPS , sun roof, etc. * as a newbie here i don't know who knows what- but in audio recording there are add-on integrated apps, called plug-ins, which are digital counterparts of very expensive hardware machines. These can cost from $20-upwards of $3.000 each. These, unlike video games or accounting software, are much of what drives the budget for a digital audio workstation, not just the PC. Many of these plug-ins will not run on newer versions of windows and would have to be re-purchased in a newer format, so there's the conflict/ I would love to build a new PC its fast fun and rewarding. (NEVER BEST BUY) but can't in this case.
Q9650 is what like $50 on ebay, it'd be a better play to roll that into a newer system.

You can get a Q9500 for like, $12 shipped, which might be enough to revive that old system with a couple more cores, otherwise I wouldn't put anything that much more substantial into that.
yes my thoughts as well, . Any ram tricks like forcing a drive into being RAM or page files or anything?

Last edited:

kanelr

hi again I saw this in the overclocking sticky note (below)
  • Make sure your RAM speeds and timings are properly set according to their specifications. RAM with funky timings or incorrect speeds can cause noticeable performance variation and instability, even at stock CPU clocks
can someone direct me to a reliable article on setting ram timing, if there is such a topic? thx

beers

Staff member
Any ram tricks like forcing a drive into being RAM or page files or anything?
Not really, it's a probably chipset limitation. Forcing data into page files will be a horrendous experience, even on SSD. Each DDR2 800 channel has about 6400 MB/sec of throughput, your SSD is hamstrung to ~275 MB/sec from being on a "SATA II" 3 Gbps interface. Also your RAM's latency is like 10 nanoseconds at 4-4-4 timings, the latency of a SSD according to this blog from '14 was around 500 microseconds, 50,000x as latent.

Have you tried doing a 'physical to virtual' clone of the disk? You could potentially see how it performs in a VM on a modern system or what specific system strings are analyzed for license validation without losing the ability to still use the previous system.

kanelr

Not really, it's a probably chipset limitation. Forcing data into page files will be a horrendous experience, even on SSD. Each DDR2 800 channel has about 6400 MB/sec of throughput, your SSD is hamstrung to ~275 MB/sec from being on a "SATA II" 3 Gbps interface. Also your RAM's latency is like 10 nanoseconds at 4-4-4 timings, the latency of a SSD according to this blog from '14 was around 500 microseconds, 50,000x as latent.

Have you tried doing a 'physical to virtual' clone of the disk? You could potentially see how it performs in a VM on a modern system or what specific system strings are analyzed for license validation without losing the ability to still use the previous system.
Thanks that would be a fine option. Off to learn how thanks