HIS Radeon X1600 Pro IceQ

pbrx7

HIS was pretty horrible to deal with but tiger is going to fix the problem. they are gonna give me a credit for the amount of the HIS card and then if i dont use it they will charge it back to my credit card.

PC eye

banned
I would use the chance now to swap for a better make while not necessarily the same model. The step up into a better ATI model like the Radeon X1800 even X1900XTX would be a step in the right direction. But for the moment going with a different brand like ATI, MSI, EVGA, and a few others would be the step to take unless seeing a full refund. With that a look at what mwave or newegg has in stock would help.

elitehacker

If you are considering upgrading, then getting a high end 7 series card is much better, both for your hip pocket and your eyes too. :p I don't have any connections with Nvidia except admiration for their range of cards at the moment as opposed to the X1k range. I was a strong ATi fan when the 9xxx series ATi cards were up against the series 5 nvidia cards. Nvidia was ALL over the place back then, but they managed to pull themselves together.

PC eye

banned
The 7600gs is a better card than either the 1300pro or 1600pro

The Radeon X1800 line would also have some better cards to look at as well. The 7600GS just happened to be about the same price when considering the price already paid out and the return credit available.

PC eye

banned
With ATI nothing lasts that long. Anything older then an X series card is on the foobar list at this time. The X700-X850 models will soon go as well into the "discontinued".

PC eye

banned
I wouldn't say that completely. That model supports higher screen resolutions according to the specifications seen on it. http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx700/specs.html

The main problem seen with ATI cards is you will only be able to go up about 3 or 4 versions of the catalyst before seeing problems. That's how fast they go through different models. At present the ATI support site brings you to the latest Catalyst 7.2 version for XP. But you can be sure that following versions will be more or less useless. When entering the Radeon X1300 Pro used here the result for Vista is "Catalyst® 7.2 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit)" as seen at http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/common-vista32.html

But that's the thing as seen there. The latest version is there simply for Vista support as well as XP. I was hoping this card would last awhile when first installing it but I guess not. It's working with the 7.2 but...?

elitehacker

The drivers for ATi in vista is definitely better than its nvidia counterpart. Also least you can overclock and have access to hardware monitoring for ATi. Nvidia still does support hardware monitoring.

PC eye

banned
When the ATI Tool released on 12/6/06 was tried lately it pointed out the max for the core speed at 704mhz roughly. I did manage to keep it up over 600mhz while running Vista at the time. The memory clock on this model is the item that won't get up too far there however. It was something like 396mhz? :( Budget card for $80- what do you expect?

pbrx7

HIS was impossible to deal with but tiger took the return and credited my money back. they were easy to work with. i'm outa here in 4 days, ill probably hit you all up in 6 months to a year and see what i should purchase and install then. thanks again for everyones help.

paul

PC eye

banned
Well Tiger is a good place as well as newegg and mwave.com for taking care of their customers. I'm glad to you got the card returned and out of your hair. I don't think you need that problem still hanging around at that time. You take care of yourself in the meantime. We'll still be here when you get back in.

pbrx7

Well gentleman, i managed to make it back early but that only means ill be going back sooner.

I just purchased a new motherboard ( BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI Socket AM2) that has PCI express and supports SLI. Should be here mid week. I also purchased another gig of the same ram I already have to bring my system up to a total of 2 Gb. i also ordered this card:

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card.

i plan on adding another one after a month or two, assuming this one works! Let me know what you think and i also have an unrelated queastion. Why does this board have to ethernet jacks? what do you do with it?

th3ha1og0d

Hey there. I think that the move to PCI-e was a good idea and the XFX 8600 GT is a good midrange card which will provide you with some decent performance. The board has dual gigabit ethernet which doesn't really mean anything other than instead of having one ethernet port, you have two. Cheers.

PC eye

banned
Gee? I'll be moving into a DX10 card for less here. A friend will have real fun when trying to upgrade since he refuses to move into a PCI-E type card and wants AGP only. Those are becoming soon extinct as time will tell. The next time you go to upgrade you'll find far more options available with PCI-E.

pbrx7

allright, got all the new parts installed. i didnt realize the motherboard made such a differance. comp a lot faster! need some more help. this new vid card is dx10 (or at least its supposed to be). is it not backward compatible? i installed the vid card driver and went back and installed dx9 cause i loaded dawn of war and it wont work. it says the spooge wont load or something to that effect. any suggestions? let me know what other info you need. thanks,

paul

PC eye

banned
Here I'm still ordering the memory, video and sound cards along with the model board finally selected to see XP and Vista both running with a new DX10 card. When Fear required DX9 as part of the installation it didn't hamper anything as far as Vista was concerned.

The product specifications should state something like XP/SP2, MCE, Vista as the OS required. You may have seen a problem with the game's installer itself more then the version of DX. When the new build is finished the new "DX10 compatible" card will show whether that's any problem.