"Hitler"

I am planning to upgrade this thing. It has an AMD 2.6 GHz CPU, 4 GB memory and a 32 bit WIN 7 O/S. I want to put an AMD 3.3 or 3.4 GHz CPU in there, add 4 GB more GB to the memory and install a 64 bit WIN O/S. Budgetwise, the sky's the limit. I would like to spend as little as possible. I would eventually like to sell it on Craigslist. This case is from somewhere around the years 2000-2003. I think these things are called "dinosaurs." Anyway, it's not nearly as old as I am. Check out the pix. I call it Hitler because it has a little moustache for a power button. Look at the ventilation.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Need to know the exact make/model of the motherboard before we can start recommending RAM and CPU upgrades. Also need to know the exact CPU which is in there now - 'AMD 2.6GHz' is too vague.

spirit

Staff member
Looks like he may have one or two sticks of RAM already installed. If one, obviously 1x4GB, if 2, then probably 2x2GB.

You'll need to buy and install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 too.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like he may have one or two sticks of RAM already installed. If one, obviously 1x4GB, if 2, then probably 2x2GB.

You'll need to buy and install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 too.

Looks like he already has 2 x 2gb installed. The board has a max ram of 8gb so he can only use 2gb sticks. And he already said he was gonna install 64 bit OS.

Smash

Looks like its the Asus M3N78-EM. If so then you can do this.

cpu - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 79.99

Ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207 56.99

So you are looking at about $137

Would be best to know what existing ram you have though.

Thanks John35. Your post is helpful. I had been buying some stuff at Directron.com, but somebody stole a CPU I had ordered there in TX and they thought it was me. Now I mostly buy from Newegg.com. I have been installing triple cores in all my machines. I do or I don't have a record of this one. I probably have it somewhere. I suppose it's recorded in the machine somewhere. I think I can find it. Quad core would be a change. By the way, you are right about the MB model name.
As far as memory, I always go to Crucial.com. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to pick it up just anywhere. I do have 2 2 GB s in there. Good to know something like I have to install 4 2 GB s. I think the memory I installed in there is just some I had lying around.
This post was originally meant to have some humor attached to it, but, as usual, in the deadly logic of computers, the meaning was lost.