Home Network Help?

93rps13

Hi, i have a home network for 2 of my computers....my setup is the cable modem hooked up to a old panasonic gateway then that is hooked up to a 4 port hub then the hub splits it to the comps now my question is more poeple in my fam need computers but i dont want to drill holes to connect it is it possible to connect this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-127-148R&type=Refurbished
to the existing line that i already drilled and have it all work together?

if this is confusing it would be

cable modem --> Panasonic Gateway --> 4port hub --> wireless router
or if i read correctly on the product it would/could be cable modem --> wireless router(becuase i have ports) would this be correct ?

also is that product a good product? Do i need anything else to work it on a old comp?, the old comp already has a eternet card

Thanks

93rps13

oh also i have 802.11b access point do i just connect that to the computer with a cable and i should be all set?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yes you would put the cable modem on routers WAN port, then connect the wired connections and put wireless card(s) or attach access point(s) to the computer(s) that will use wireless

93rps13

cable modem --> Panasonic Gateway --> 4port hub --> plug into the WAN port of the wireless router, would that also work?

ChinaRosesZ

If you have wireless adapters, then you don't need to drill no hole, but the D-Link router an support up to at least 20 people on the network, but I think that number could be wrong, but I know it's definitely more than 10 people, so I don't see any reasons why you need to go and use a 4port hub for since the wireless router also has 4 ports and many wireless adapters.

I think there is no need to drill hole in the house, looks horrible. My boyfriend's house is like that, and they wished wireless were available 8 years ago so they wouldn't have to drill holes around the house because they look like shit.

My house has 5 computers, I bought a D-Link wireless router and a cable modem, two computers are connected straight to port 1 and port 2 on the wireless router, and the other 3 have wireless adapters, and all 5 computers receive excellent connections.

So I think all you really need are wireless router, cable modem, and a few wireless adapters so you wouldn't have to drill holes.

If you are going to buy them online, that's smarter than buying in store, they charge you about 50 bucks for a wireless adapter, and about 70 bucks for modem, and about 60 for a wireless adapters, you can get them much cheaper online.

S_Doherty

By the sounds of your setup, all you really need is a isp provided modem ---- connect your new dlink wireless router to that [pretty sweet dlink deal :)] conect the panasonic gateway to that (but, what do you use the gateway for?) because that wireless router also serves as a switch (1uplink, and 4 hardwired lan connections) your wireless adapters, which in theory you could have up to 200 wireless links but obviously that would extremely diminish your throughtput...if your gateway needs to be seen on the captital I internet, then let me know and I can give you a walkthrough on exactly how to do this..... hope this helps....let me know how u make out